VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU and S-DVI eligibility

Rate this question

Tango India Mike

Question

I'm confused about the eligibility for premium waivers on the S-DVI. The rules say you may be eligible for no premiums if your disability prevents you from substantially gainful employment. This can only be substantiated by approval of TDIU, but then it contradicts it's self by saying that your Total disability cannot be effective PRIOR to your insurance coverage start date. How the heck can anyone possibly be eligible? Once you've been granted TDIU and they call it "totally disabled", you're disqualified as soon as you qualify. What am I missing here? Is this benefit only for those who started a policy before being rated Totally Disabled?

Eligibility Requirements:

1. You have a mental or physical disability which prevents you from performing substantially gainful employment.
  2. Your total disability must begin before your 65th birthday, and must continue for at least six consecutive months.
  3. Your total disability may not begin prior to the effective date of the policy.

What do I need to do to apply for premium waiver?

Once you submit your Application for Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance (S-DVI), our Insurance Claims Division can begin reviewing your information. If your application for insurance is approved, you will automatically be considered for waiver of premiums. Please understand that eligibility for premium waiver is based on information from your local VA Regional Office, and health and employment information concerning your non-service-connected impairments.

What if I'm not approved for waiver of premiums?

If you are not approved for waiver of premiums you will have to continue paying premiums for this insurance. If you do not want to pay the premiums you may cancel your coverage by sending a request to: Department of Veterans Affairs Regional Office and Insurance Center (RH), P.O. Box 7327, Philadelphia, PA 19101.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit They are saying you or your survivors can't get back pay for death prior to the date of the policy. If you have questions try calling 800-669=8477

18 hours ago, GBArmy said:

Welcome to Hadit They are saying you or your survivors can't get back pay for death prior to the date of the policy. If you have questions try calling 800-669=8477

That doesn't sound right. It says my TOTAL DISABILITY cannot start before the EFFECTIVE date of the policy...NOT a CLAIM date...or DEATH date.

My Total disability has started, but if I sign up for S-DVI and apply for NO PREMIUMS due to my TOTAL disability, I am already disqualified because I was TOTALLY disabled before the EFFECTIVE date of the policy. It just doesn't make sense.