Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. Many folks use Ad Blockers and I understand why, I would ask that if you want to support HadIt.com and help keep it online add HadIt.com website as an exception ×

First BVA hearing help

Whodat

Question

Greetings family and Happy Easter.

This is absolutely my first time ever appealing a VA decision and I do have a hearing next week and must say that I am very nervous and a cry for help is needed and hopefully that experienced family can answer that call. 

I do have a Rep, but nervous about the process. Will the BVA request for me to have an opening statement or my rep? What is important if I have to make the opening statement?

I have many more questions but I will stick with this first. 

Thanks in advance for answering the call for my cry of help.

• Subscription Holder

I know for mine, the rep when for me or did that part of the work.  I really did not have to go anywhere or do anything other than wait.  I know you can have your day in front of them, but it depends on what route you decided to go.  

Most important thing: 

Have a copy of your records.  "Make sure" that significant evidence is in VA's copy of your file, so ask to see it and compare.  Give them a copy of yours if its missing.  Big deal.  Just be yourself and be honest.  

I all my many years of successfully representing myself pro se in VA claims and BVA, court appeals I never have ask for a BVA or VARO hearing of any type and never used a VSO due to a 1985 bad VSO experience.

I never felt need for one and it adds to consider length of time for a decision to be made.  Based on reports from others I don't trust any of those asking the questions or even the VSO with me at the meet.

• Like 1

Well wish me luck family. Today at 3:pm ct is my first BVA hearing. I will update of my experience. 

• HadIt.com Elder

@WhodatGood luck this afternoon!

@Dustoff 11During my last in-person meeting like this, my VSO simply sat by and said nothing during the entire time. I was thinking "Gee, thanks for really being there for me."

• Like 1