VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

First BVA hearing help

Rate this question

Whodat

Question

Greetings family and Happy Easter.

This is absolutely my first time ever appealing a VA decision and I do have a hearing next week and must say that I am very nervous and a cry for help is needed and hopefully that experienced family can answer that call. 

I do have a Rep, but nervous about the process. Will the BVA request for me to have an opening statement or my rep? What is important if I have to make the opening statement?

I have many more questions but I will stick with this first. 

Thanks in advance for answering the call for my cry of help.

Most important thing: 

Have a copy of your records.  "Make sure" that significant evidence is in VA's copy of your file, so ask to see it and compare.  Give them a copy of yours if its missing.  Big deal.  Just be yourself and be honest.  

I all my many years of successfully representing myself pro se in VA claims and BVA, court appeals I never have ask for a BVA or VARO hearing of any type and never used a VSO due to a 1985 bad VSO experience.

I never felt need for one and it adds to consider length of time for a decision to be made.  Based on reports from others I don't trust any of those asking the questions or even the VSO with me at the meet.

Well wish me luck family. Today at 3:pm ct is my first BVA hearing. I will update of my experience. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@WhodatGood luck this afternoon!

@Dustoff 11During my last in-person meeting like this, my VSO simply sat by and said nothing during the entire time. I was thinking "Gee, thanks for really being there for me."