VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sinusitis causing Migraines? Can you link as secondary if your sinusitis/migraines are prevented with medication?

Rate this question

Wico1337

Question

If I am diagnosed with Sinusitis, which is connected as Presumptive condition due to Burn Pit exposures. Can I also link associated Migraines with the Sinusitis episodes?

If I take Zyrtec and Flonase to compat Sinusitis conditions, so Migraines no longer appear as servere, does that decrease my rating for Sinusitis and Migraines?

Or, do you get rated on Migraines/Sinusitis based on your symptoms as if you were not on medications?

I guess the real question I am having is... If symptoms are reduced by taking medication, do you recieve a leower VA rating than if you were not taking the medications or the medications were not effective?

Also, would migraines appear as a secondary to Sinusitis? Or would it just be included within the Sinusitis rating?

3 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It would be secondary service connection if your sinusitis was found to have also caused the migraines. I added both tables and links to them below. Keep in mind that the migraine criteria is a bit odd because they describe the 10% or higher criteria with "prostrating", which means it causes you to have to lay down (i.e. quiet/darker area to recover). Otherwise it is 0%. However, once connected for it, you can always file an increase if it worsens. Zyrtec and Flonase are good solutions and can help reduce the swelling and pressure. If they propose giving you other medications for migraines, such as injectables, talk with the pharmacist about any risk factors of contraindications.

38 CFR § 4.97 - Schedule of ratings - respiratory system https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/4.97

6504 Nose, loss of part of, or scars:    
Exposing both nasal passages    30
Loss of part of one ala, or other obvious disfigurement    10
Note: Or evaluate as DC 7800, scars, disfiguring, head, face, or neck.    
6510 Sinusitis, pansinusitis, chronic.    
6511 Sinusitis, ethmoid, chronic.    
6512 Sinusitis, frontal, chronic.    
6513 Sinusitis, maxillary, chronic.    
6514 Sinusitis, sphenoid, chronic.    
General Rating Formula for Sinusitis (DC's 6510 through 6514):    
Following radical surgery with chronic osteomyelitis, or; near constant sinusitis characterized by headaches, pain and tenderness of affected sinus, and purulent discharge or crusting after repeated surgeries    50
Three or more incapacitating episodes per year of sinusitis requiring prolonged (lasting four to six weeks) antibiotic treatment, or; more than six non-incapacitating episodes per year of sinusitis characterized by headaches, pain, and purulent discharge or crusting    30
One or two incapacitating episodes per year of sinusitis requiring prolonged (lasting four to six weeks) antibiotic treatment, or; three to six non-incapacitating episodes per year of sinusitis characterized by headaches, pain, and purulent discharge or crusting    10
Detected by X-ray only    0
Note: An incapacitating episode of sinusitis means one that requires bed rest and treatment by a physician.    

38 CFR § 4.124a - Schedule of ratings - neurological conditions and convulsive disorders  https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/4.124a

8100 Migraine:    
With very frequent completely prostrating and prolonged attacks productive of severe economic inadaptability    50
With characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an average once a month over last several months    30
With characteristic prostrating attacks averaging one in 2 months over last several months    10
With less frequent attacks    0

1 hour ago, Wico1337 said:

If I am diagnosed with Sinusitis

True story, be very careful and be forewarned, if you are not already service connected for sinusitis, don’t file a claim for migraines secondary to sinusitis until after you get your service connected for the sinusitis. In the past I have seen the VA deny veteran’s claims that filed both at the same time because a claim for a secondary condition cannot be secondary for a claim that was not already service connected.

In plain words, don’t put the cart before the horses. I know, no one wants to wait but it could cause problems down the line even with claims that are presumptive. If the VA denies the claim, you will have to appeal. Even with the diagnosis, a diagnosis does not in itself means a service connection will be granted. One step at a time.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
1 hour ago, pacmanx1 said:

don’t file a claim for migraines secondary to sinusitis until after you get your service connected for the sinusitis

They could always submit an intent to file at the same time or right after for it. Unless the VA totally hoses up the initial claim, at least they might have the potential for decent retro. However, I believe they said they are already SC for sinusitis as presumptive per burn pits.

When I filed for a number of things, I filed for the secondary issues simultaneously regardless per discussion with  @carlieyears ago. I didn't win anything at first, but a few years later they did end up granting me retro for everything primary (neck/back) and secondary (bilateral upper/lower radiculopathy). I was completely surprised when that happened. Because it took five years to win, at least it put me that much closer to the 20 year protection. I honestly don't think I have had a clean, properly processed claim, since around 2011. Every one I filed since 2019 was wrongly denied, but overturned on review.