VA benefits to help funding service dog mobility harness??

Ufrustrated2

Question

does the VA help with funding and/or grants to help 100%SC veterans with getting a mobility support harness for their service dog?

my GSD-SD is certified for this task & etc's.  his trainers recently recommended a few harnesses to choose from and they each get custom made for dog and handler.

5 answers to this question

• Admin

You're welcome! Good Luck. 

I have a PTSD service dog. The VA does not pay for anything related to mental health dogs.

I discussed it with my VA therapist for a long time, deciding if it was the right choice for me. It is a long commitment, and I wanted to give it a good deal of thought. 

When I decided it was worth doing, my therapist found some suggestions for places to try. I called one that is now called Duo Dogs. It was a lengthy application process, with two in-person interviews, proof that I could provide for the dog financially, and photos of my home and yard. Once approved, it was a 2-year wait to receive my dog.

Boeing's Employees Community Fund approved 2 veterans in the country to receive a PTSD service dog. I was chosen as one of the veterans. If you are interested, you can read about it here. 

So there was no cost for my Cinder to me. Boeing paid for that. When it came time to pay for the equipment, Duo Dogs had a program called the DAVID Fund The Disabled American Veterans Independence Dog Fund helps with the application fee and equipment costs for these clients.

Me and my PTSD service dog Cinder.

tbird-and-cinder-in-front-of-the-arch-march-2013.jpg

If you are interested I spoke at a Fundraiser for them, at that time they were called Support dogs. Here's a video of me speaking in 2013 about a month or so after I received my service dog Cinder.

• Like 1

Black Lab??
Bet it was worth the wate. I say all the time "Most dogs are better than most people most of the time!

• Like 2

• Admin

She's the best, truly a noble beast, fiercely loyal and at 10 years old can still be as adorable as a puppy. She is retired now and enjoying life as a family dog. Though she keeps her eye on me and senses if I'm feeling distressed and tries to distract me. She is great about that.

I remember one time in therapy, discussing something with my therapist i dropped my head into my hands and no sooner did I do that then Cinder got up and came to me put her head under my head and started nudging my head up with hers. Brought right out of that dark place I started to go. She is amazing. I wish I could speak dog so I could truly thank her, that is my human sentiment, Cinder on the other hand is more about snacks than sentiment 🙂

• Thanks 1