VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New letter about delayed mail

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

Got this letter in the mail today dated March 25, 2022.

Notice: There May Have Been a Delay in Receipt of Mailed Correspondence

To whom it may Concern,

You may experience a delay in receipt of correspondence from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). 

What Happened

VA experienced delays in printing and mailing correspondence to Veterans and claimants due to supply chain and staffing shortages from our vendors. 

How This May Have Affected You

From July 13, 2021, through December 31, 2021, correspondence may not have been received timely. This includes information needed to pursue a benefit or notification of a decision, which may require a time-sensitive response. Veterans Benefit Administration extended the initial response period afforded in the letter by 90 days when a proposed action may have resulted in a denial, reduction, or termination of benefits. Unless you waived your right to respond or sent the requested evidence or information, you qualified for this extension. 

This notice applies to impacted correspondence sent from the Veterans Benefit Administration related to your disability compensation and pension benefits, decision, reviews, and/or services related to the Veteran Readiness and Employee program dated July 13, 2021, through December 31, 2021. 

If you believe you should have received a letter but did not, please contact the VA at 1-800-827-1000.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

My claim was granted for medical reimbursement. I called the 800 number and was told they sent out a letter on 4/1 requesting any additional information before they decided my claim. I know because I got them to email me a copy of the letter. I still haven't received the hard copy. I had 30 days to reply...

• HadIt.com Elder

Since you won your claim, I guess there was no harm done. But the delayed mail is really a problem; especially if there are time restraints like your to reply. Best thing to do is call "Peggy", 800-827-1000, so you know if a decision has been made nand do what you did. After 10 working days, call for an email copy of the decision. If you have to submit new data, and you miss the response date by a few days, and, if your new evidence is significant, then appeal by way of HLR. They should re-open your claim and reconsider. (Not saying you will or wont win.) But point is the delays in mail are rediculous.

3 hours ago, Whodat said:

If they stop denying claims that are legit, they wouldn't have delays or short staff members. 

Longevity and Security, The Department of Veterans Affairs is one of the largest federal government employees. I think the Post Office is number 1 and the VA is number 2 or 3 but definitely within the top 5.