VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ambien

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been taking Ambien for a few weeks.  That stuff is starting to depress me.  I noticed that I sleep but don't feel rested.  I think that stuff interrupts REM sleep.  I feel really cranky.  My poor wife is catching it.  I am going to stop and just stay awake all night.  All that sleeping med is really bad news as are tranquilizers. Addictive and they mess with your mind.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

The VA gave it to me years ago. It was great for a few weeks, but I had the same issues after. It also made me grouchier than normal. Consider asking for an appointment with a neuro sleep doc. You might need a sleep study.

I ended up being given melatonin 10 mg, but could never time it right. I'd be awake too long or asleep too long. Now I take a lower dose over the counter dissolving tablet by Natrol which is time released. It's better than nothing, but far from perfect refreshing sleep due to pain.

• 1 month later...
  • Greeter

I suggest getting on Benadryl or melatonin. Maybe try some tea at night. I currently take Benzodiazapine antivan 2mg. Knocks me out like a horse. Dr is now taking me off the Benzodiazapine that I have been on for 12 years. Withdrawals are a bitch. So I have tittered down to one at night so far in preparation to that. It agravates my spleep apnea too. I think ambien does the same thing. It aggravates your sleep apnea because it’s similar to a sedative.

Edited by Dot09

• HadIt.com Elder

Benzodiazapine is a bitch to withdraw from worse than narcotics and more dangerous.  I did it as well.  The VA insisted since I was getting percoset for pain.  Valium is another sedative that is hard to kick.  Ten million housewives take this stuff and are addicted.

• Greeter

Ambien is no joke. That stuff knocked me on my ass when I tried my mother in laws stuff. I tried it in replace of the benzodiazepines and for some reason it did not work the same.Maybe my mother in laws stuff was stronger. I can definitely say that it is addictive.