VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Connection

Rate this question

roy talker

Question

just recieved 0% rating  for allergic rhinitis,  I was under the impression I would get an explanation of why 0% was given( i didn't get any reason). I also have mild sleep apne& headaches, can that be presumptive to my allergic rhinitis? Would appreciate if anyone could give some insight. tHANKS!

41 minutes ago, Vync said:

@brokensoldier244thWhat about central sleep apnea? Of course, the OP would need to have a thorough sleep study done to determine which flavor they might have.

Does something have to be rated 10%+ in order to allow secondary SC to apply?

True, but since he went to the physical issue I figured he wasn't thinking central.

No, but a 0% means it's acknowledged but not bad enough for compensation, so likely not bad enough to cause something else. 

OP- Re-read your decision letter- they are partially generated with templates with the legalese already in there for grant or denial so there is likely something in there about why the 0%.

It's not a denial, though, it just means that legally and medically it's not bad enough to be compensible according to the ratings schedule. 

If you appeal then do it as a supplemental so you can add new evidence. An HLR only re-looks over what is already of record.  You still need new and/or relevant evidence for a supplemental, though, that being things not listed in your reviewed evidence, or things overlooked that you can prove/demonstrate to be submitted with your claim.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Good info from @brokensoldier244th

On 5/1/2022 at 4:18 PM, Vync said:

You are correct. They are supposed to tell you that in the decision letter. Normally, they also tell you what would be needed to be granted a higher rating percentage.

Here's the criteria from 38 CFR 4.97:

6522 Allergic or vasomotor rhinitis:

With polyps: 30

Without polyps, but with greater than 50-percent obstruction of nasal passage on both sides or complete obstruction on one side: 10

Sounds like you might have not met the 10% minimum requirement or the VA screwed up the decision. It might be worth filing for sleep apnea and headaches if you think they are caused by it. It would be termed "secondary", not necessarily "presumptive".

awarded 50% for migraines