VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Want to Say, "THANK YOU" to 'HadIt'!!!

Rate this topic

I want to say THANK YOU to everyone here who advised me to get a VA attorney. I spent 5 years (from 2016-2021) trying to re-file for disability compensation from VA, trying to get help from several VSOs, and even from my Congressional Reps,with the VA/federal government thwarting me at every turn; and getting very depressed at my lack of success. The only thing that happened last Summer (2021) was a doubling of my disability rating from 20% to 40%.

So, after yet another denial in September 2021, I sought an attorney. Several people on here recommended NOVA (National Organization of Veteran Advocates). I went there and searched, and found Leslie Dean of Florida, and only since last October, she has brought my disability rating to 93%, and is still actively pushing for 100+%. It feels like the VA is throwing money at me, as if they're hoping she'll stop harassing them!

My life is changing for the better, for a change, and I love my attorney. We're not 'done' yet, but this feels like WINNING!!! For any veteran who is 'losing' to the VA, and is feeling like they will never get the rating they deserve, I can only say, "DON'T GIVE UP!" and "Go to NOVA  and find yourself a VA Attorney!"

Edited by Cat4Christ777
Forgot NOVA refers to National Organization of Veteran Advocates, not 'attorneys.'

Congratulations!! I've been turned down every step of the way and didn't get anything SC until I hired an attorney. It way to long to get that service connection and to me it's well worth it to pay the fee. Some people are good with VA speak and are up to date on VA law, but I never was. I'm still not, although I now understand a little better.

• HadIt.com Elder

Way to go! Good for you not to give up. Congrats!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Greeter

Congratulations and wish you the best. It’s always nice when something finally sticks.

I am happy for you. For some reason many veterans find they need a lawyer just to get what they deserve, when I first started my fight we coulld not hire lawyers. VSO in my humble opinion are now and were then ( 1986) useless. A lot of them will put their picture in the DAV magazine with a veteran they helped, boasting that they are good at what they do. At one time I was a chapter service officer, working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I enjoyed helping veterans and I took almost every case of every veteran who asked me for help. I ws usually sucessful helping the veteran, but the veterans actually did the bulk of the work, I just guided them along with advice and resources and recommedations about how to write a claim. Some of the claims that were approved even surprised me, especially the ones were older veterans who were already totally retired on SS who  had heart conditions or other serious conditions that they claimed were a result of service in the military. Every one of them got TDIU, why because age is not a factor in VA claims, even though they had not been working for years in some cases.   The rules say compensation is based on the average earning, that disability lessens the ability to make more money, but then the va goes and awards TDIU to veterans who had not worked for years. I never understood that since both rules conflicted. Anyway I degress. I never saw the need for a lawyer, although from time to time I will ask questions more to reenforce my opinions than anything else. I have been very fornatuate getting most of my claims approved without any real assistance. I always loved the feeling of winning an appeal, and sometimes I wish I could walk up to the VA rater who denied my claim, and get in his face telling him he needs to do his job better. anyway good for you and best of luck to getting to the end of thre road. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use