VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Specially Adapted Housing grant

Rate this question

Aquaria

Question

I have applied twice for the SAH grant and both times been denied (1 application & 1 appeal). I have provided documents from my doctor that I have loss of use of my limbs that leaves me having to utilize a wheelchair prescribed from the VA. I was recently service connected for both arms (incomplete paralysis) and both legs (incomplete paralysis). Should I appeal again using the new service connections? What am I missing here as the latest denial letter states I'm not eligible but by what I read I actually am eligible. 

Service Connected for

50% migraines

10% Costochondritis

40% Fibromyalgia

100% PTSD

40% left upper extremity (dominant) idiopathic small fiber neuropathy (involving all radicular groups of nerves)

30% right upper extremity idiopathic small fiber neuropathy (involving all radicular groups of nerves)

60% right lower extremity idiopathic small fiber neuropathy ( Incomplete paralysis of sciatic nerve, severe with marked muscular atrophy)

60% left lower extremity idiopathic small fiber neuropathy ( Incomplete paralysis of sciatic nerve, severe with marked muscular atrophy)

Do you own your home?  They will deny if it is a rental property or you do not own the property.  SHA, a different program, allows a family member to own the property that you live in.

21 hours ago, Aquaria said:

I have spoken to the DAV and the FLDV VSOs and they state it is only awarded if paralyzed not loss of use like the grant states on the VAs website. This is why I am questioning what am I doing wrong.

Someone is giving you bad information, paralyzed will not get you the housing.... it must be loss or loss of use....

These are the requirements for adaptive housing: 

Qualifying service-connected disabilities include:

• The loss or loss of use of more than one limb
  • The loss or loss of use of a lower leg along with the residuals (lasting effects) of an organic (natural) disease or injury
  • Blindness in both eyes (with 20/200 visual acuity or less)
  • Certain severe burns
  • The loss, or loss of use, of one lower extremity (foot or leg) after September 11, 2001, which makes it so you can’t balance or walk without the help of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair