VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appeals: Informal conference offers clarity, feedback in higher-level decision reviews

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

Veterans seeking a higher-level review (HLR) of a benefits claim decision have a powerful tool to communicate directly with a higher-level reviewer. It’s called an informal conference.

The HLR is a part of the Veterans Appeals Modernization Act of 2017 (AMA). As part of the HLR process, VBA offers an optional one-time informal conference.

Appeals: Informal conference offers clarity, feedback in higher-level decision reviews - VAntage Point

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

I am sure these personal hearings work well for some vets but since filing my first VA disability claims beginning in 1985 to present day I have never felt need or desire to request a personal hearing of any type with the VA or BVA.

During my 2003 CUE appeal to the CAVC court I was required several times to engage in a three way telephone conference call with the Judge and VA General Counsel lawyers opposing me and sometimes things became very heated when I would not do their bidding and objected to their rude attitude toward me.  The Judge played empire and ruled in my favor majority of time but still not a pleasant experience for me.  VA lawyers do not like pro se appellants and they made this very clear all the time.

I would not do well in face to face personal hearings with government functionaries.

This is my go-to for issues that some would file a CUE for.  There is only the form 996 to complete and then you talk to a VA representative about the situation and if it truly is a VA mistake it gets fixed quickly.  Most of these are complete in 1-2 months. A great option if you have nothing else to submit for your claim.