VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

More Community Care Fun

Rate this topic

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

In March (yes, March), my VAMC primary care doc submitted a referral for community care for a couple of things. As I was hoping to get this scheduled sooner than later, I inquired and was told to contact two different individuals who work in community care. The first individual's phone automatically hangs up after a couple of rings. The other individual's phone rings without ever being answered. That happened every time I tried to call regardless of day or time of day. I followed up and primary care sent an inquiry asking them to call me, but I still have yet to hear from anyone. I did more inquiring and hopefully someone calls me soon.

I have an odd feeling that the person who calls will tell me that I need an appointment with a VA specialty clinic before they can authorize the community care visits. That happened last time. Additionally, they only granted a 30 day window for the authorization and I was not contacted to schedule until there was only a week remaining.

So much for the care you need when you need it... 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had some problems with community care. One of the biggest problems is they always seem to bill Tricare and Medicare, instead of the VA. I avoid community care even if sometimes  it means I don't get treatment. I used to be able to use Darnell Medical Center on Fort Hood ( thats one reason I live in killeen),  the Department of Defense controls all medical services of all the branches now, and they are slowley but surely  denying care to retirees on military bases. Oh if I could go back to my youth, knowing what I know now ( not just medical care) I would not have reenlisted over and over again.