VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

veterancpl

Rate this question

veterancpl

Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi veterancpl Welcome to Hadit. Could be several reasons, some suggesting a favorable outcome for a veteran. You can call Peggy at 800-827-1000 and see if they can offer an explanation. It could be the amount of the grant, as in large backpay, could require it. You probably just have to wait it out. Watch your back account as they often get a payment prior to the veteran gettin any notice of a claim settlement.

If you can figure out "Why" VA does anything, then picking winning lottery numbers should be easy.  

This said, the VA often requires 2 signatures for "large retro".  The VA is rather secretive about that, because, I think it was Carpenter Chartered, (Ken Carpenter), the amazing Veterans lawyer, took them to court about that, and Won, I think.  

So the VA prohibited the practice.  However, VA still does this, but rarely tells Vets they do it.  

The VA is supposed to "grant every Veteran the maximum allowed by law" WHILE protecting taxpayer interests.  

In a nutshell, the VA has been burned with "insiders" (VA employees) sometimes granting benefits to friends and family and collecting a kickback, for a shady grant.  To prevent this (Im not sure its effective), the VA often requires "2" signatures on large retro.  

If memory serves me right, Ken Carpenter argued this was a violation of the Veteran's rights, because the Veteran has no opportunity to "do anything about" the 2 signature requirement.  

Again, if memory serves me correctly, the case was about a Vet who had gotten an award letter.  The VA alleged the award letter was in error, because 2 people did not sign off on it.  

For more information about very important case law, go here:

https://cck-law.com/blog/10-cavc-cases-all-veterans-should-know-part-2/