VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

what information will the vso require from cardiology findings

Rate this question

worriedshrimp

Question

greetings hadit,

my question relates to the cardiology reports generated from doctors. so far i have had the treadmill stress test and am scheduled to have an echo-cardiogram early next month - june. to be sure this is a slow process. i have not yet received the results of the stress test and it's been well over a week – the cardiology clinic is tasked with sending the reports to my local va health center.  meanwhile i've managed to successfully disengage from my local county state funded vso and been accepted by the DAV, who i understand will now be the only entities allowed to examine my DD214 folder. the DAV called to welcome me and insisted that i also send them information about any existing hypertension as i am an agent orange presumptive vietnam 11b10 veteran.  in regard to the cardiology reports which part should i forward to the DAV? the summary? or the hard to understand detailed medical notes. With the cardiology visit came a new blood pressure prescription Metoprolol Succinate Er 25 Mg. I would like to pare this down to the essentials so as not to overload the DAV. I presume they will base the merits of a new claim and possible rating on the medical results.

Thanks for an outstanding forum and the patience to address my query.

tws

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Worriedshrimp. I suggest you don't worry too much about "overloading the DAV." You send them the evidence. Period. When you say you went to the cardio clinic, I assume you are talking about a C&P exam. If it is then it is a VA subcontractor and you won't see the results for at least 30 days. If it is your own dime, then yes, get on them for the report. Look up 38cfr4.104 https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/4.104 C.A.D. or Ishemic heart disease is now based on METS performance for diagnostic code 7005. Note that just taking meds is a 10% rating. The tread mill test will provide your METS score. Also consider other presumptives for A.O. They sneek up on you brother. See https://www.va.gov/disability/eligibility/hazardous-materials-exposure/agent-orange/  I have 8 eight and counting. A.O. is just waiting in the weeds for us so consider seconaries as well. 

In 2014 I was diagnosed by private heart surgeon with IHD/CAD Ischemic heart disease and in 2017 the VARO awarded me 30% for Vietnam Agent Orange heart disease due to an enlarged heart.

I Appealed the 30% rating and ask for an increase due to strong medical evidence from the Bruce treadmill stress test showing my METS level should be at least 60% for my IHD/CAD heart disease.

The VA C&P examiner and the VARO rater completely ignored my treadmill METS score and replaced those MET scores with their own chicken chit estimated METS and the ****** examiner would not even allow me to answer his questions about my physical abilities for estimating METS and instead wrote down his own idea of estimated METS.

I sub immitted with my appeal a doctors favorable private opinion stating the VA was complete wrong in substituting their own inaccurate estimated METS against my treadmill mets and that I should be at least 60%.  The BVA ruled the C&P examiner's opinion was defective and remanded my claim for a new LHI exam that I completed in late January.  Everything is still pending. 

P.S. I do not give short abrupt answers to vets question as this is a disservice to the vet.

thanks GBArmy and Dustoff 11 for your personnel experiences and advice. these exams are a series of community care  labs i've been appointed via my local va health care clinic. they are a result of finally going to the va sick with chest pains and overall malaise - my first person to person visit since the pandemic began. they said i looked pretty sick and they were going to 'kick my tires'...  there is also a dreaded urology appointment coming as well... i really didn't give much stock in maladies from agent orange but now later in life i may be copping the benefits of humping the herbicide bush. between the cardiology and urology test i'll be flogging reports to the DAV for months to come. only recently got bilateral hearing loss added for a total of 30 percent service connect rating. i'll post my progress as things develop, ya never know my experience may assist others following a similar medical path.

drive on