VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Specially Adapted Housing grant Denied

Rate this topic

Aquaria

I have applied twice for the SAH grant and both times been denied (1 application & 1 appeal). I have provided documents from my doctor that I have loss of use of my limbs that leaves me having to utilize a wheelchair prescribed from the VA. I was recently service connected for both arms (incomplete paralysis) and both legs (incomplete paralysis). Should I appeal again using the new service connections? What am I missing here as the latest denial letter states I'm not eligible but by what I read I actually am eligible. I own the house I live in FYI.

Service Connected for

50% migraines

10% Costochondritis

40% Fibromyalgia

100% PTSD

40% left upper extremity (dominant) idiopathic small fiber neuropathy (involving all radicular groups of nerves)

30% right upper extremity idiopathic small fiber neuropathy (involving all radicular groups of nerves)

60% right lower extremity idiopathic small fiber neuropathy ( Incomplete paralysis of sciatic nerve, severe with marked muscular atrophy)

60% left lower extremity idiopathic small fiber neuropathy ( Incomplete paralysis of sciatic nerve, severe with marked muscular atrophy)

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you are not rated for loss of use of your arms  or legs it is doubtful you would be granted the adaptive housing... 

You can keep applying but the chances of winning a claim or slim.  

My first request for adaptive housing was denied, but I had loss of use of one foot, and residuals organic disease (60% back injury)  I won my claim on appeal. This was many years ago.

You should work on getting a loss of use rating. 

If your doctors do not specifically state you have loss of use, you will not get the grant.. and if he does state you have loss of use he must use sound medical reasoning 

Best of luck 

Below are the different ratings required to get the housing grant:

Qualifying service-connected disabilities include:

• The loss or loss of use of more than one limb
  • The loss or loss of use of a lower leg along with the residuals (lasting effects) of an organic (natural) disease or injury
  • Blindness in both eyes (with 20/200 visual acuity or less)
  • Certain severe burns
  • The loss, or loss of use, of one lower extremity (foot or leg) after September 11, 2001, which makes it so you can’t balance or walk without the help of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair