VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

jm0365

Question

I had a C&P exam this morning for an increase to my bipolar rating. I wanted to share my experience. It was a telehealth appointment.

My first appointment was canceled, which was very fortunate because I was not prepared. I spent the time before the new appointment researching what to expect and the best way to approach the exam. I decided to make a page with a detailed list of my symptoms and a separate page with issues that I wanted to discuss.

When the exam started I told the doctor that I was worried about forgetting something and that I had made notes as a reminder. She said that was a great idea and let me refer to my notes after every question. When she was done she asked if there was anything in my notes that we hadn’t gone over. Then we talked about that stuff.

After the exam she told me that she was updating my diagnosis to Bipolar 1 with psychosis and mixed episodes. She then  told me that she didn’t think I was getting the help that I need and asked if she could give me medical advice and information outside of the exam, which I gratefully accepted.

Now it’s a waiting game for the rest of the claim process.

For anyone with a Bipolar of Mental Health C&P coming my recommendation would be to write down in detail what symptoms you are having and how they affect different areas of your life. The exam can be tough and you shouldn’t trust yourself to remember everything on the spot.

63Charlie: Everything you stated in 1-4 is you you you. Not the veteran who posted. So this is your experience and doesn't mean all have it that way. 

Whodat: I can see my exams through a VSO with VBMS access

3 minutes ago, asdf said:

63Charlie: Everything you stated in 1-4 is you you you. Not the veteran who posted. So this is your experience and doesn't mean all have it that way. 

Whodat: I can see my exams through a VSO with VBMS access

That's you but what about other vets that do not have access to that. We all are not blessed like you. 

When It comes to examiners, I think I have met all kinds. Many will lie and tell you they will recommend the claim is approved and then you get a denial. In one case, my right knee was examined the examiner was a NP and I thought she did a great job and I received an increase in my rating a month later. Two months later the same N/P told me my left knee was worse than the right knee, and I while I was granted the claim, it was combined with a rating that was about 2 years old, and the rating was not increased. THis same examiner, failed to mention that I was wearing an AFO.  Maybe she had a bad day but she certainally did not do her job, and yesterday I received the call for a new C/P exam to be conducted on 2 June.  About three or four years ago I literally got into an arguement with the examiner doing a C/P for my eyes. He told me I could not get anything over 30% for my eye condition, I told him he was wrong that the ratings were changed less than a year ago, and I told him based on this I should be rated 60%. He asked me what I was smoking, and I told him he was rude, arguemenative, and should not be conducting C/P exams. He was an elder gentleman at least 75 years old. Well I got the 60% rating, but not because of him, but was in my medical records. I don't recommend anyone get into an arguement with an examiner but it happens.  C/P examiners are human, they make mistakes, but I even had one go out of her way to screw me over, by changing her opinion 21 days after the examination. I ended up getting a new C/P exam but noone should have to fight for what they have coming. So it is rather apparent to me that the war starts with the c/p examination and continues until the claim is awarded, and you have fired your last shot.

23 hours ago, john999 said:

What is your current disability rating?  Bipolar 1 is a more serious DX that Bipolar 2 by and large.  It means you have actual manic-depressive episodes.  How many times have you been in the hospital for bipolar?  Have you had major manic episodes?  Are you able to work?  What kind of meds?  If you can't work and take heavy meds you will probably get 70%-100% rating IMO.  There is no way to really guess what a C&P exam doctor is going to say but yours sounds good.  Don't be too surprised if you have to appeal because the VA is the final rating agency no matter what the doctor says.  I got a 30% rating for bipolar 11 way back in 1997.  It was upgraded to 70% when I lost my job because of it.  High ratings are all about "Can you work"?  If you are still working the ratings tend to be much lower, but who knows as Whodat says.  Whodat is just telling the truth on this one.

My current DX is unspecified Bipolar. That’s the original DX the VA gave me in 2016. I applied for an increase after several serious mania and depression episodes, but no hospitalizations. I haven’t worked since before my initial claim in 2016, which was a 50% rating.

If I do get a 70% rating I plan on filing for TDIU. 

6 hours ago, Whodat said:

That's you but what about other vets that do not have access to that. We all are not blessed like you. 

Not to get in between this argument, but the main takeaway from my experience was that I am very glad that I took time to prepare, made notes about my symptoms, made a list of things I wanted to bring up, and communicated this to the examiner. 

I think that this was helpful regardless of who the examiner turned out to be.

Man I tell you one thing in my 25 years of doing this VA thing and been on hadit.

I have no seen this much posting about exams and imo.

This private contractor exam thing has take veterans down a nother road to get to there benfits.

Well ever time I heard good things from a VA examiner things we're as they said.

Now this new stuff is a different story you are dealing with worker comp and ssi doctor now.

Those system are not vet friendly.

I don't think ppl understand what is going on.