VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

jm0365

Question

I had a C&P exam this morning for an increase to my bipolar rating. I wanted to share my experience. It was a telehealth appointment.

My first appointment was canceled, which was very fortunate because I was not prepared. I spent the time before the new appointment researching what to expect and the best way to approach the exam. I decided to make a page with a detailed list of my symptoms and a separate page with issues that I wanted to discuss.

When the exam started I told the doctor that I was worried about forgetting something and that I had made notes as a reminder. She said that was a great idea and let me refer to my notes after every question. When she was done she asked if there was anything in my notes that we hadn’t gone over. Then we talked about that stuff.

After the exam she told me that she was updating my diagnosis to Bipolar 1 with psychosis and mixed episodes. She then  told me that she didn’t think I was getting the help that I need and asked if she could give me medical advice and information outside of the exam, which I gratefully accepted.

Now it’s a waiting game for the rest of the claim process.

For anyone with a Bipolar of Mental Health C&P coming my recommendation would be to write down in detail what symptoms you are having and how they affect different areas of your life. The exam can be tough and you shouldn’t trust yourself to remember everything on the spot.

• HadIt.com Elder

JM

You should file for TDIU now.  You are unemployable since 2016.  You might want to spend a week or two in the hospital to put the icing on the cake.  If you are feeling suicidal they must admit you.  They will ask if you have a plan to knock yourself off.  If you say "yes" then you will get admitted.  Do you have someone who can get you out of the zoo when you are tired of it.  I know I sound cynical but that is the way the game is played.  You need to be proactive.  

• Greeter

I agree with john999

bipolar is not fun. I struggle with bipolar 2 and panic attacks. If you haven’t worked since 2016 you should definitely apply for tdiu for the fact that “you can’t maintain substantial gainful employment due to your service connected bipolar 1”. Good job on the note taking. Definitely helps out and sounds like you had a favorable exam. I wish you the best of luck.

2 hours ago, Dot09 said:

I agree with john999

bipolar is not fun. I struggle with bipolar 2 and panic attacks. If you haven’t worked since 2016 you should definitely apply for tdiu for the fact that “you can’t maintain substantial gainful employment due to your service connected bipolar 1”. Good job on the note taking. Definitely helps out and sounds like you had a favorable exam. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the advice. I read somewhere that raters are supposed to consider you for TDIU if you are at or above the threshold. I was assuming that they would look at it during the claim, and I would file a new claim if it isn't granted. Maybe I'm mistaken about the process.

• Greeter

I veteran am filing this lay statement in support of my claim of tdiu. I hereby state in support of my supplemental claim for tdiu that I am unable to work based on the merit that I cannot maintain substantial gainful employment due to my service connected disability of bipolar 1.

• HadIt.com Elder

Mr. CUE

I have to agree with you on worker comp and SSDI doctors.  These guys do tend to be whores, but not all.  WC will go way out there to find doctors to deny a claim.  They are the worst, but docs who do lots of exams for SSI/SSDI are pretty bad as well.  The government would not hire them if they gave benefit of doubt to claimants.  Their job is to help deny benefits.  Why does it usually take years to win a SSDI claim?  They want to starve you into going back to work able or not.  Then they can deny the claim since you proved you could work  (or starve.)