VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need help finding IMO in California

Rate this question

PaulodeFesta

Question

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Paul, welcome to Hadit. You should certainly have a IMO for a secondary condition related to your s-c foot disability. Quite common actually, but you need to be evaluated in person, not virtual for get the fexon measurements etc. I don't have any direct contacts for you but what I'd do is contact a few of the big law firms and discuss and they may give you a lead to one or two that they work with. Try CC&K for example, as they are pretty big nationwide. Also consider other secondaries to the foot and knee issues. Back issues, meds causing GERD, etc.Good luck.

GB is spot on. I have trying for years to knee conditions secondary to my Pes planus Plantars Fascitis. Kept getting denied so I am using a Law Firm.  I even had an IMO.

Its rough for Vets.  What you posted happens over and over...Vets need another docs opinion to overcome an unfavorable VA doc opinion, and those are not always easily available.  

Understand the difference between IMO (Independent Medical OPINION) AND IME (INdepedent medical exam).  An Exam normally happens "in person", BUT, you may be able to get an appointment via one of the facetime types of video appointments.  VA does those, so how can they bash them?  I HAVE had at least 2 online video medical appointments.  

I agree a NEW exam (IME) is mostly better than an IMO, where the doc reviews other docs exams, and renders his opinion.  

There is much information on IMO's and IME's here on hadit, and much of it is great advice.  Usually, if hadit members dont agree with some of the advice, they chime in..so, its often "fire tested", so to speak..  

It would take a review of your file to determine if you could get by with an IMO (no exam) or you needed an IME.  

Lots of times an IMO will suffice, remember, you just need a nexus.  

If an IMO will suffice, there are multiple docs, or even companies, which do VA IMO's.  If you need an exam, you need that exam to be in your city or one you are willing to drive/fly to.  

In any case, get an IMO/IME with somone very familiar with your condition, knees.  A friend who has a PHd (Doctor) in basketball, wont be of much use.  You have to demonstrate your doc is an expert witness, and can render an expert opinion.  Other wise, you could ask your teen age daughter to write you an opinion of how your knees is related to your sc foot pain.  

If this is a secondary condition, then you dont need an inservice event.  You need 2 things:

1.  Current diagnosis of knee condition.

2.  Doc opinion that its at least as likely as not related to your Sc foot issue.  

9 hours ago, PaulodeFesta said:

Already rated for my foot but now have knee problems

Some VA doctors do not like to get involved as soon as you say, “Nexus/Disability Letter,” but may be more willing to write a statement in your progress report of the cause of your knee condition and the likelihood it is caused by or related to your service-connected foot disability. Keep in mind if you are being treated for your knee condition you may already have a nexus statement in your progress reports. Look through them to see if there is anything in them that connects your knee to your service-connect foot. When treating a condition, doctors normally have to diagnose and determine an etiology (cause) of a condition.

Good point. Also if you have a foot problem, see if your VA primary care can refer you to a podiatrist. If you need arch support and special shoes, VA will get them for you. They did for me. 

But like GB and Pacman stated, message your podiatrist, ask if your service connected foot condition is causing your knee problems. 

I did both to my primary care and my podiatrist. Might work. 

Also, if you have knee problems, the VA like to see corrective actions like physical therapy. I know that it's a pain to do all of this but they want to see if the condition can be corrected by treatment. In my case it didn't help. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use