VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% P&T For Myself And Now Hubby

Rate this topic

flow1972

It's been around 3 years or so since I started down the VA Claims path.  From what I've seen reading through these forums, that's a really short period of time to have achieved what I've been able to.  I've had a great deal of help from others on this site, and I've had my share of frustrations with the VA as well.  In the end, it was absolutely worth it.  My hubby and I are both Veterans.  I started this whole VA thing more than 20 years after leaving service.  Neither one of us knew anything about the VA until we got involved in a group with a bunch of Combat Veterans who convinced me that it would be worth my while to at least take a look at it. 

As of last week, we are both now 100% P&T.  I've learned a lot along the way, and I try to help others with what I've learned as much as possible.  Some tips:

1.  Be organized with your claims.  Site what you're claiming, what evidence you're using, and then highlight what you want them to read on said evidence.

2.  Prepare for the C&P by reading their rating guidelines.  Don't just show up.

3.  If you don't have an event documented that actually happened, get a buddy statement.  More than one if you can.  The more, the better.

4.  Do your research on what you're claiming before you submit it.

5.  If some of your evidence is from PMR's, only submit what supports your claim.  DO NOT grant the VA blanket access to your Private information.  They will try to get you to sign a form giving them access, but the law only requires you to submit evidence that supports your claim.  Don't cause yourself unneeded problems.

6.  If you end-up hiring a lawyer, don't expect them to be as thorough as you would be about your case...or as fast.  They will literally wait for the 1 year dead-line for appeal to actually file the appeal.  And it won't be some multi-page legal brief.  It will literally be one or two sentences siting the part of the law that was violated or whatever the basis for the appeal is.  You will most likely never even speak directly with an actual lawyer.  You'll deal with their legal assistant.  Like anything else...some advice the legal assistants give is good..some isn't.  If I'd listened to the legal assistant's opinion that filed the appeal for my husband, he wouldn't be at 100% P&T today.

7.  When in doubt, claim it.

Edited by flow1972

5 hours ago, flow1972 said:

If I'd listened to the legal assistant's opinion that filed the appeal for my husband, he wouldn't be at 100% P&T today.

Congratulations, now take a vacation before dealing in any more combat with the VA.

Very reasonable advice, I have also said I would not be were I am if I had listened to the nay sayers. I don't want to leave any money on the table, so I go for every thing I contribute to my military service. And don't forget the secondary issues, or SMC's....

Congrats!   Im sure you already know about the additional benefits for 100 percenters, too, such as the free (waiver of premium) life insurance ($10,000), and state benefits as well.  Many states, for example reduce or even eliminate your property taxes.  Check with your state's website if not sure.  

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use