VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Is "spatial Disorientation" ?

Rate this question

tssnave

Question

Hi - Newbie on board - been reading the posts for a while before joining and have learned a lot - thanks.

Question 1) What is "spatial disorientation" as it pertains to the rating of mental disorders such as ptsd?

I just had my C&P a couple of weeks ago and when I asked the doc what she meant when she asked me if I had any issues with spatial disorientation she asked me if I knew I was in bed when I was in bed. I told her yes, when I am in bed I know I am in bed. However, later I realized that I never had an opportunity to tell her how I get lost even on routes that I should be well familiar with and wondered if I should have said something about that when she asked me if I had problems with spatial disorientation. I looked spatial (dis)orientation up on the web and can find lots about it as it pertains to pilots flying a plane (I only jumped out of them in the Army, never flew them) but nothing about what it means from a general mental health standpoint much less what it means to the VA.

Question 2) What is the best way to get information that wasn't covered during the C&P exam into my file?

There were several areas from the mental health rating sheet that were not even covered during the C&P exam. How are they supposed to rate me on information they don't ask me? Equally maddening is when they asked closed ended questions such as "Did you graduate from high school." Yes. "Do you have any education beyond high school and if so, how much?" Yes, I have a BS in Business. Then she's on to the next question about something different. I get my rating and they say I don't have any impairment in school. It didn't cross my mind during the C&P to elaborate on the closed ended question about school and say, "When I got out of the Army I had a year of college credit but because of my sc disability it took me 7 years to get the last 3 years of college because I had attendance and concentration issues and dropped as many classes as I took." Then there's the fact that I wasn't doing well the day I took my C&P exam. The paradox of trying to mount a claim for a mental disorder is that you are the person who has to explain your mental illness but because of your mental illness you are unable to do so effecitvely. ARRRGGGG! The C&P exam lasted about 35 minutes and when I got the rating for 50% and read the specs for 70% I realized that I am squarely in the 70% but didn't communicate that fully to the examiner because she either didn't ask the questions in the 70% categories, I didn't understand or follow what she was asking, she asked a closed ended question I didn't elaborate one, or I couldn't concentrate enough to give her complete answers due to my sc mental illness. I want to go to a private shrink and talk it all out. I talked to one doc and he said that he could not give me an evalulation but he could listen and write up clinical notes of our conversation. Is this a good plan of action? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

tssnave

Edited by tssnave

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I called the outpatient clinic where my C&P was done and asked how to get a copy of my exam. They said that they can't give it to me as they don't have an actual physical copy of the exam since it was sent electronically to VA. The examiner asked questions and typed on a pc during the exam and said it would be at VA that evening - since I had the exam on a Wed and they made a determination on Friday it apparently worked as she said it would. The clinic said I'd have to get a copy of the C&P exam from the VA office.

Can I get just a copy of the C&P exam from the VA or do I need to request my entire C-file? If I request my C-file will that be the only opportunity I have to do so?

I read somewhere else that you can only get your c-file once so I was afraid at this point to request either the C&P file or my c-file. They rated me 50% and I am going to talk to a civilian shrink and send them that report but from what I understand they will still want me to go through another C&P exam for reevaluation. Hopefully having been through one now I will be able to get the information out that I need to so they can properly rate me.

Suggestions?

Anybody know what spatial disorientation means as it relates to the VA mental illness ratings?

"Anybody know what spatial disorientation means as it relates to the VA mental illness ratings"

Do you know the date, the name of the city you are in, the name of the President,

basically are you out of touch with reality in this degree-

I never know the date and have been lost many times in the boonies and had to ask a postmaster what town I was in once- it really means diddly squat-

However, bizarre answers can trigger more questions.or could indicate brain trauma or brain disease-but dont worry about it - It is basically just part of the VA rigamorale-

If you have a PTSD claim-

you need current diagnosis of PTSD.

A reason, link, nexus of why you have it- to your service-

combat event, deaths of buddies, vehicle accident, rape, etc etc - all stressors.

If your DD 214 does not show PH or combat awards,

your stressors will be checked by CURR and then you also will need a medical statement that supports this nexus or link and say that "more then likely" your PTSD is due to your service.

I think you already get SC- it could become a consideration of a higher rating- still-

nothing to worry about and nothing to fully determine what a higher rating would be

This spatial issue is a very small part of PTSD claims.It CAN become a significant factor however-

if you lost your job because of this- like say you were school bus driver and could not find the school-

etc stuff like that- it would become one important part of determining if you are unemployable due to SC.

That is - the spatial condition is DUE to the SC one.

Edited by Berta

go to the hospital where you had the C&P done, go to the meddical records office, fill out the form and ask for a copy of the C&P Report that was done for a C&P Physical on (date) you will get it about a week later in the mail, they feed you bs when they told you that about getting a copy

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Touching the nose with the eyes closed is a crude test of spatial orientation.

Orientation -- Awareness of one's location in the continuum of time and space and of the identity of one's self and familiar others and objects.

Oriented x 3 : oriented in all three spheres: place, time and person/objects.