Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

My anxiety prevents me from using the phone. What can I do?

MiguelArdon

Question

I keep being told i need to make a phone call. People keep giving me a call back, but I can't pick up. I have been even having issues since the pandemic started because I cannot use telehealth. Seems like nobody understands. So I am damn near giving up. I am also technically homeless, due to always being in fear, I have to keep moving. I am rated 100 by the VA. I just wish I could email someone, but I keep seeing that legally I have to talk on the phone. I can't. This has been very hard. I don't mind going to an SSA office, I just am never put. Sorry everyone, I don't want to worry anybody, an other reason I can't stay put. I don't even know what my question really is. Just hoping someone out there has encountered a similar problem.

5 answers to this question

• Financial Contributor

Can you get onto Myhealthevet? 

You can contact your primary care and see how they can help you.  

Make them aware of the issues you are having and see what resources there are.

I know the hospital here has a great program to help and they do a great job with it.

If you need to go down to the VA hospital and ask them for some help if you can.

Be as safe as you can

• Like 1

• Community Admin/Founder

Can you drop in at a local Vet Center and see if they can help. I've found them very helpful and they should have one around you.

• Like 1

Miguel Good advice given. I would second that if you can get to a Vet Center, you will probably find that they are much easier to work thru your issues. If you get a MH provider that just doesn't click with you, you have a right to ask for a change. Also, just in case you are really going thru a hard time, be sure you have the VA Crisis Line number handy 800-273-8255

I have an idea of what you're going thru.  Among other issues, Social Phobia.  I can take calls, usually, but can't make them.  VA keeps saying call, even knowing I can't.  Am unable to wear a mask due to panic issues with anything over face so no medical treatment since covid started.  Have done phone/video a few time with crazy doc but he moved on and now don't even have that.  No blood tests since covid started and now Pharm says no more insulin/meds until do blood/eye tests.  No CC since I live to close to a clinic.  So, VA has basicly written me off.  Sucks but oh well.   Secure messaging works well for many things but can only do so much that way.  Good luck, hope you find someone who understands the phone issue, I've only found 2 at VA since 2009.

You fear going to VA but not SS office?.  I and other small group of war vets was horribly mistreated by VA doctors in 1985 at Texas VA hospital on the PTSD ward but I  returned to using the VA medical on a limited bases.  Does your VA medication for anxiety help you deal with folks and phone? 

My PTSD anxiety meds helped me a great deal with VA phone calls and person to person.  Find a friend if possible to help you with VA phone calls or go with you.  Even today I mostly use medicare and AARP insurance for serious medical issue but still use VA for labs and routine prescriptions.

I have Minimum brief contact with VA folks by phone or person to person.  Not making direct eye contact may be of some help as did me and still does.  I don't want to be their friend. 

Austin, TX Vet Center was of some help to me for a year or so.

My comment is not legal advice as I am not a lawyer, paralegal or VSO.

Edited by Dustoff 11