VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New C/P exam

Rate this question

Richard1954

Question

I received a letter yesterday Dated 14 June. It reads;

We have requested an examination through a private medical facility in order to determine the current level of your disability. This private facility will soon advise you of the date, time and place of the examination. This notification will be in writing, by telephone or perhaps both. If you can't keep the ap[pointment or want to re-rescheduled, contact the medical faculity on the appointment noiice as soon as possible.

When a claimant, withour good cause, fails to report for an examination or reexamination, the claim shall be rated based on the evidence of record, or even denied. Examples of good cause include, but are not limited to, illness or hospitalization, death of a family member, etc. 

Ok so I have 4 claims in the system. My appeal on the left knee ( already had 2 exams), my claim concerning blood cloths in my lungs secondary to my COPD, and my claim for Venous Insufficiency,Chronic, and Peripheral secondary to COPd, the last two claim have ratings 60 to 100% ratings.  And a claim for Gerd secondary to COPD, and COPD medications to include steriods.

These genius that sent the letter did not tell me which claim they are talking about. 

In all my 35 years in dealing with the VA ,  I have never received such a letter.  I am befuddled . This letter is dated 14 June it is now 23 June and no private medical faculity has contacted me.  I wonder if this will be one of the known contractors, or if this will be done by a real private medical faculity.. Gee Dorthy ,  i'm gonna follow the yellow brick road with ya and together we will see were it goes. Do you think the Wizzard will get me a good exam and a better rating or will the wicked witch of the west spoil everything?   To be continued.

Edited by Richard1954

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

This is not unusual. I had it happen to me several times back when I had claims in the system and before they were outsourcing to third party contractors. The exams would usually just state I had to report to the VAMC and go to the C&P clinic. However, a couple of years ago, I got a letter similar to the one you got. Not long after, I got a letter from LHI with was suprisingly detailed. It told me all about the exam from what the VA requested to the name and credentials of the examiner, the kind of DBQ, and included info on how to contact them. Of course, once I had the exam, the NP hosed up the report by opining on something I never claimed and I got a denial that was overturned on appeal.

Come to think about it, I did have an exam for Parkinson's Disease a couple of years ago. I did not even claim it. I don't have P D that I know of. But yes that was denied too. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
7 hours ago, Whodat said:

Come to think about it, I did have an exam for Parkinson's Disease a couple of years ago. I did not even claim it. I don't have P D that I know of. But yes that was denied too. 

If you have a VSO where you granted them power of attorney, they can actually file claims on your behalf. I hear it is rare, but you never know...

Thanks guys, I know they do exams using contractors but I have just never seen such a letter. I am still waiting for someone to contact me. Usually, I will get a phone call and they identify theirselves as contractors for the va ready to do an exam. I hate dealing with these contractors because you can never get a copy of the writen report, well almost never, but myself I have never had the luck of getting a copy of a c/p exam from a contractor.  Anyway  Dorothy and Toto are good company here in va nevr never land within the wizard of oz.

From my understanding, this is normal. In fact, I had one in person C&P with LHI and have since had two records reviews by VES (the first because an MD stated "pre-existing condition") and the VA caught the misstatement  when the record clearly shows that not to be true). My 2nd records review was completed today and am now awaiting the decision.