Jump to content
!! Advice given is in no way a substitute for consulting with a competent Veterans law firm, such as one on the NOVA advocate website !! ×
VA Disability Claims Community Forums - Hadit.com
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • question-001.jpeg

    Have Questions? Get Answers.

    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.
      Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.
    Leading too:

    exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.
    • Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?
    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • VA Watchdog

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

CRSC Questions


Recommended Posts

I am a medically retired Marine with 15.5 years. I was retired in 2006. I was under the impression that you had to have done 20 years in order to be eligible or meet a portion of the criteria for CRSC. I am 100% total and permanent. I was rewarded 30% for knee injury by Medical Evaluation Board and retired, due to an injury simulating war games. I also participated in Operation Uphold Democracy in Haiti and suffer from PTSD and depression as a result of bagging bodies as a result of a skirmish with one of our line companies.


Upon filling out the claim do I file for just the 30% for my knee, or do I include all of the things (PTSD and Depression) secondary (back pain) due to knee injuries etc...

I am trying to seek information or help with filing this claim.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

File for everything that you think that you are entitled to. Make sure that you scrub your service medical records thoroughly. If and event or injury happened while in service, claim it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
17 hours ago, Sudo01 said:

I was rewarded 30% for knee injury by Medical Evaluation Board and retired, due to an injury simulating war games. I also participated in Operation Uphold Democracy in Haiti and suffer from PTSD and depression as a result of bagging bodies as a result of a skirmish with one of our line companies.

Personally, I do not consider benefits as being rewarded but awarded.

Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC)

Combat-Related Special Compensation provides tax-free payments to retired Veterans with combat-related disabilities. You must apply for CRSC through your uniformed service. Keep reading to learn about eligibility, evidence you’ll need to provide, and how to apply.

Eligibility to apply for Combat-Related Special Compensation

You may be eligible to apply for CRSC if you meet the requirements listed here.

All of these must be true:

  • You're retired (and entitled to or receiving military retirement pay), and
  • You have a VA disability rating of at least 10%, and
  • You currently have your DoD retirement payments reduced by the amount of your VA disability payments

Details about your retirement eligibility requirement

One of these must be true:

  • You had 20 or more years of service in the military, National Guard, or Reserve, or
  • You retired for medical reasons with a disability rating of at least 30% (under Chapter 61), or
  • You're covered under the Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA), or
  • You're on the Temporary Disability Retired List (TDRL), or
  • You're on the Permanent Disability Retired List (PDRL)

Evidence and other documents you’ll need to provide 

Evidence that proves your disability or injuries are the result of a combat-related event, like:

  • Service medical records. These must be from when your injury happened. They must show the severity of your medical condition and that it's combat-related.
    Note: Provide only relevant medical records. Please don’t send us all your medical records.
  • Official service records. These include After Action Reports, Investigative Reports, personnel action requests (like DA 4187), and performance evaluations (like NCOERs and OERs).
  • Decorations and award recommendations. These include Purple Heart citations, Combat Action Badges, medals, and decorations for valor.

Other documents:

  • Retirement records. These include retirement orders and the Armed Forces of the United States Report of Transfer.
  • Your VA decision notice
  • Your DD214

What the evidence must show about your combat-related disability

The evidence must show that your injury happened while you were:

  • Engaged in armed conflict (in combat or during an occupation or raid), or 
  • Engaged in hazardous duty (like demolition, flying, or parachuting), or
  • Participating in war simulation activities (like live fire weapons practice or hand-to-hand combat training)or
  • Exposed to instruments of war (like a military vehicle, weapon, or chemical agent), or
  • Engaged in an activity you received a Purple Heart for

How to request the documents you need

Decision notice: Send us a request in the form of a letter or note. Be sure to ask for “my VA rating decision letter,” and sign your name. Send your request to your nearest VA regional office. Find your nearest VA regional office

Military service records: Request your military service records (including your DD214) online, by mail, or in person. Learn about how to request your military service records

How to apply for CRSC

Send your completed application, along with any supporting documents, to your uniformed service. Please don’t send original supporting documents since your uniformed service won’t return them. Send copies only. And we recommend that you make a copy of your completed application for your own records. 

Fill out a Claim for Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) (DD Form 2860). 
Download DD Form 2860 (PDF)

Note: There’s a 6-year statute of limitations for CRSC. To be sure you get the full amount of your back payments, you must file your CRSC claim within 6 years of any VA rating decision or the date you become entitled to retired pay, whichever comes first. If you file your claim after this 6-year limit, you can only get up to 6 years’ worth of any payments due to you.

Uniformed service addresses

Find the correct mailing address or email address listed here (these are also on Form 2860):

Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) | Veterans Affairs (va.gov)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use