VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Destruction of Records

USNDW

You know, for several years I wondered where all the records were going that I was sending to the Seattle RO. I had signature required mailings and they were being signed for at the address they were sent to, but the VA continued to deny they received them. Three different mailings before they admitted receipt of.

When I would say John Doe signed for the packages they would deny that person existed. Then I found out in 2010 that Seattle RO was one of those found shredding documents in the mail room.

Disgusting, and the IG should have investigated further and criminal charges should have been filed against those who ordered this action

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its terrible, and there is much on shreddergate, which was found in a half dozen VARO's....the others were not tested!!!!

Counting on your opponent at law to keep all the records is a bad idea.  VA got around that by alleging they were "pro claimant" Veteran friendly.  If they are so "pro claimant" why does VA have about 500 lawyers whose job is to make sure Veteran's dont win their appeals?  

Supreme Court Justice Roberts, was informed that VA "takes a position against Veterans" that is "substantially unjustified" 80 percent of the time.  

This is because nearly all of Veterans who appeal to the CAVC win their EAJA case..and the government pays the Veterans lawyer fees.  If the Veteran wins at cavc or even gets a remand, payment of the Veterans attorney through EAJA is a given.  Many attorneys will accept EAJA payments and represent you, that means, at no cost to you.  

I have a lot of experience with shreddergate.  

Mostly, tho, when VA comes up with a bogus denial, and the veteran wins benefits, the va just tries again with the next Vet.  

The reason is it makes money for VA.  You see, only a small fraction of people appeal, and their bogus denial becomes final after a year.  And, the VA puts Veterans on a remand hamster wheel, often taking decades to resolve, and the Veteran often dies waiting on benefits.  https://revealnews.org/article-legacy/number-of-veterans-who-die-waiting-for-benefits-claims-skyrockets/

Many widows of Veterans dont know they can file a "substitution of claimant" and get their late hubby's retro, so they lose out.  

https://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/factsheets/general/accrued.pdf