VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DMZ in 80s with Agent Orange Illnesses

Rate this question

Al Sia

Question

My friend served in the Army in the Korean DMZ in the 1980s. Got out now he has ischemic heart condition. Diabetes type 2. Skin hyperpigmentation. Numbness in joints and limbs and many more symptoms of agent orange. My question is how does he get disability approved since it doesn't fall in the years of presumptive conditions 68-71. I have read others in the 80s-90s veterans serving in the dmz contracted illness due to agent orange and had difficulty getting approval.  Thanks for input. I appreciate it greatly. 

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Al, welcome to Hadit. A claim can be won without being a presumptive situation if the evidence is solid. But,  I'm not saying it will be easy. You need a medical opinion, or nexus, that a doctor opines that supports your claim. AO has a tremendous life and undoubtedly many people are ill today in Vietnam for instance because it is still in the environment. My suggestion is do your homework. You have to research and find medical studies supporting your position that AO was in the environment when he was there years after spraying stopped. There is medical studies in journals and papers that will support your position. Once you find it, you provide that medical info to the doctor and he uses that info as the nexus for his residual disabilities. Or, you have to find an expert in the field that has that kind of success winning those cases based on previous research and then, if denied,  present to the BVA that it is at least as likely as not that his IHD, diabetes, etc. are the results of exposure even after several years. Don't be discouraged if you are turned down by law firms; they can have many legit reason not taking your case. A good medical presentation can win at the BVA. Good luck