VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iraq And Afghan Vets

Rate this question

Ricky

Question

After reading story after story about these brave young guys and gals in which they are losing their homes, cars etc........... My opinion is this is really a DoD problem vs a VA problem. Why are they not being kept on active duty until their claims are processed? Maybe they are but that is not the way I understood it. Why in the world would the DoD rip away their full salary (full but not equal to their civilian pay for reserve and guard service members)and kick them to the outside of the gate before their VA benefits had kicked in? If this is not being done then DoD should be blasted instead of VA (only for compensation stuff as DoD is taking its licking for medical care). If DoD was held to their responsibility then there would be no need for internal memos within the VA indicating these guys and gals are to get pushed to the front of the line in the claims process. Just wondering.........it is late and I have nothing else to do except wonder about stuff.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I fit in this catagory. I was recovering from my sugeries after being medivac out of Iraq. For a over a year I was on lmited duty where I had all of the time on the world to improcess with the va. I was trying to do this so I would not miss any work when I went back to my civilian job after three years. No we need a 214 etc.. I had to take today off without pay to go to white river jct vt(2 hour away) to get an appt. My employer is not happy. Gone three years, medically discharged from the army and he still has appointments making him be away from his job. I saw a shrink today filled out 125 question survey to ask him to refill my ptsd meds. He did not even go over my problems from the survey. Pretty much kicked me out telling me I had to make another appt. I had this med for 2 years from a civ doc and they will not accept that. Bull.. I am shaking gottta go before I really go off...

Welcome home and to Hadit SFC24. Sorry to hear that you are having such problems. It is beyond my comperhension why there is such a problem between DoD and VA. I spent over 25 years in the Army, retired in 2000 so I know the problems soldiers face with paperwork as they leave DoD. Maybe, just maybe we will get this stuff fixed soon and you guys can finally take a rest.

• HadIt.com Elder

SFC:

The VA has lots of things that get a Vet into the penalty box. They are really hard core on meds has to be their way and nothing else will do.

If this happens again you might ask to meet with a supervisor they are usually a little more flexible. Another thing that new Vets do not know is that you can always walk in as emergency and see a Doc or at least someone who will write a prescription.

Good Luck

SFC24,

I would think that doctors -- especially shrinks -- would know better than anyone NOT to provoke ex combat vets by treating them rudely...anything could happen.

In my local VA Clinic, for example, the signs on the wall saying that "All threats will be taken seriously..." went up after a vet I know punched-out his shrink. And in the Army hospital next door, I almost punched-out some arrogant doc and put him in his own Emergency Room (thanks, but please no lectures...I couldn't care less about the consequences but I think HE would have).

People in general should be very careful messing with people they don't know...I just don't see why some docs don't get that point.

-- John D.

Welcome to Hadit! Sorry you had a bad experience with that Dr., some of them need some bedside manner classes. :rolleyes:

I fit in this catagory. I was recovering from my sugeries after being medivac out of Iraq. For a over a year I was on lmited duty where I had all of the time on the world to improcess with the va. I was trying to do this so I would not miss any work when I went back to my civilian job after three years. No we need a 214 etc.. I had to take today off without pay to go to white river jct vt(2 hour away) to get an appt. My employer is not happy. Gone three years, medically discharged from the army and he still has appointments making him be away from his job. I saw a shrink today filled out 125 question survey to ask him to refill my ptsd meds. He did not even go over my problems from the survey. Pretty much kicked me out telling me I had to make another appt. I had this med for 2 years from a civ doc and they will not accept that. Bull.. I am shaking gottta go before I really go off...