VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cluster Headache/Migraines

Rate this question

KenDawg

Question

I have a question concerning headaches.  I am rated for cluster headaches(10%).  I have been having migraines 2 to 3 times a month and have been prescribed medication so it is now documented in my records.  I have recently received my rating for PTSD and I am trying to figure out should I apply for and increase for my cluster headaches since I am already service connected or do I apply separately for migraines and s/c it to because of my PTSD?  From what I have read all they fall under the same category.

I am working my headache log.  Is there anything else I need to do?

Any help is appreciated

All headaches/migraines fall under 38 CFR 8100. Since you are already rated for cluster headaches, if you file a separate claim for headaches, it will be denied due to pyramiding. You can file for an increase in symptoms, but the VA will most likely challenge your claim. Not that they will try to deny your claim, but the VA seems to be trying to make it harder for veterans to get the max 50% rating.

Accordingly, the DC 8100 Migraines VA Rating Criteria is as follows:

• 50 percent VA rating for migraines is warranted with very frequent, completely prostrating, and prolonged attacks productive of severe economic inadaptability.
  • 30 percent VA migraines rating is warranted with characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an average once a month, over the preceding several months.
  • 10 percent VA disability rating for migraines is warranted with characteristic prostrating attacks averaging once per two months, over the preceding several months.
  • 0 percent migraines VA rating is warranted with less frequent attacks than the 10 percent rating criteria.

7 hours ago, pacmanx1 said:

All headaches/migraines fall under 38 CFR 8100. Since you are already rated for cluster headaches, if you file a separate claim for headaches, it will be denied due to pyramiding. You can file for an increase in symptoms, but the VA will most likely challenge your claim. Not that they will try to deny your claim, but the VA seems to be trying to make it harder for veterans to get the max 50% rating.

Accordingly, the DC 8100 Migraines VA Rating Criteria is as follows:

• 50 percent VA rating for migraines is warranted with very frequent, completely prostrating, and prolonged attacks productive of severe economic inadaptability.
  • 30 percent VA migraines rating is warranted with characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an average once a month, over the preceding several months.
  • 10 percent VA disability rating for migraines is warranted with characteristic prostrating attacks averaging once per two months, over the preceding several months.
  • 0 percent migraines VA rating is warranted with less frequent attacks than the 10 percent rating criteria.

Thanks…I just want the best chance of getting my increase.  I believe I’m at the 50% level.  I am hoping that they consider my PTSD and medications along with previously rated headaches.  

Pacman has broken it down like a shot gun for you. You have your log. Just make sure that your examiner ask the questions according to the DBQ. Also if you had taken off of work due to headaches, have some type of documentations such as a schedule or supervisors letter

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

The rating criteria for migraines is below, with my comments after:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/4.124a

Rating
8100 Migraine:  
With very frequent completely prostrating and prolonged attacks productive of severe economic inadaptability 50
With characteristic prostrating attacks occurring on an average once a month over last several months 30
With characteristic prostrating attacks averaging one in 2 months over last several months 10
With less frequent attacks 0

I'm at 30% because I maintain a "migraine diary". I just detail date, symptoms, duration, and how long I had to go lay down in a dark quiet room. Although mine can be horrific because they are completely prostrating, frequent, and often prolonged, the VA will not increase me to 50% because I cannot prove they are "productive of severe economic inadaptability". My employer granted me a reasonable accommodation under the ADA by allowing me to rest and recover, then get back to work.

Consider a migraine diary and/or any instances where you reported this to your doc. The VA can grant the effective date of the increase back to when you met the criteria within the past 12 months. Based on the limited details you provided, it sounds like you have a promising chance to get increased to 30% so long as you can prove you meet that criteria.

Additionally, if they give you strong migraine meds like sumatriptan pills/injectables, be sure you read the FDA pamphlet. Check contraindications and special instructions about any special initial or ongoing diagnostics to determine if it is safe for you despite any risk factors. I didn't realize I had most of the risk factors, but the VA failed to do the diagnostics and I landed in the emergency room with a heart attack. I'm not saying this can happen to you, but don't take any chances unless you are fully informed. Stay safe. Read the small print on any migraine meds. Keep in mind that any side effects of migraine treatment might yield secondary SC for something else...

1 hour ago, Vync said:

The rating criteria for migraines is below, with my comments after:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/4.124a

I'm at 30% because I maintain a "migraine diary". I just detail date, symptoms, duration, and how long I had to go lay down in a dark quiet room. Although mine can be horrific because they are completely prostrating, frequent, and often prolonged, the VA will not increase me to 50% because I cannot prove they are "productive of severe economic inadaptability". My employer granted me a reasonable accommodation under the ADA by allowing me to rest and recover, then get back to work.

Consider a migraine diary and/or any instances where you reported this to your doc. The VA can grant the effective date of the increase back to when you met the criteria within the past 12 months. Based on the limited details you provided, it sounds like you have a promising chance to get increased to 30% so long as you can prove you meet that criteria.

Additionally, if they give you strong migraine meds like sumatriptan pills/injectables, be sure you read the FDA pamphlet. Check contraindications and special instructions about any special initial or ongoing diagnostics to determine if it is safe for you despite any risk factors. I didn't realize I had most of the risk factors, but the VA failed to do the diagnostics and I landed in the emergency room with a heart attack. I'm not saying this can happen to you, but don't take any chances unless you are fully informed. Stay safe. Read the small print on any migraine meds. Keep in mind that any side effects of migraine treatment might yield secondary SC for something else...

Vync…thanks for the info.  Every bit will help on this journey