VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

You won’t believe how much money fraudsters have stolen from Veterans

pacmanx1

In 2021, military fraudsters stole $257 million from service members and Veterans.

In recent testimony to the House Oversight and Reform Committee on National Security, the Federal Trade Commission stated that this number is a 162% increase from the previous year. Further, the data indicates that the average amount of money lost by military scam victims is a 20% increase from non-military scam victims.

You won't believe how much money fraudsters have stolen from Veterans - VA News

• 1 year later...

Wow, hearing about the rise in military fraud cases is horrible. It's disturbing how these scammers are preying on our service members and veterans. It's crucial to spread awareness and stay vigilant against such scams.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@Legiboka Welcome to Hadit!

Back in the early 70's, while on leave, as gi's walked down the street we were "accousted" by multiple scammers.  

One guy tried to make me feel like "I did not love my mother" unless I bought her his overpriced necklace.  I declined.  

Later, when I saw my Mom, I asked her about it.  She said she was proud of me for not squandering my money on a fake jewels necklace.  

Of course, the scams are more sophisticated now.   This is one reason I dont always identify myself as a disabled Veteran everywhere.  

It puts a target on your back, because they know you have a regular income, and "its something they can try to get from us".  

Disabled individuals "choose" whether or not to disclose their disability.  I suggest making this choice wisely.  Remember, we can tell trusted friends, but are under no obligation to tell "everyone" on the internet we are 100 percent disabled.  

This is one reason I like hadit.  I have a handle here, different from my real name.  If I choose to disclose my real name to trusted friends, I do so.   But I dont blast my full name to everyone on the internet as I dont exactly like having a target on by back.  

About 3 years ago, a guy called "from the sherrifs office".  He asked why I skipped jury duty.  I told him I called and told them I would make a poor jurror as I have exceptionally poor hearing and that makes me a poor jurror.  They excused me from jury duty.  

Fast forward a year, and the sheriffs office has a fine for missing jury duty.  He insisted I would be "arrested on site".  Well, I knew I called, and was excused, but, I also know glitches in government happen, and it may be easier to just pay the fine.  

So, I got my wife to go with me, "to go get a gift card" to pay the fine".  It sounded peculiar, but I knew I was guilty of missing jury duty, but also knew I called, and, again, know well about government glitches.  

I had my wife call the sheriffs office, as the caller insisted I stay on the call with him (also odd).  The sheriffs office, of course, asked if I wanted to be "added to the list" of victims of this scam by sending them money, as there was no record of my arrest warrant.  

After having been through this, I realize there were red flags I should have seen, but my judgement was clouded.  I knew something was wrong, and enlisted my wife's help...who "bought into the scam full bore", but did as I asked, and called the sherrifs office.  

So, they had me going a while, but, once we had the "A team" he could not get past both of us.  

Therefore, to avoid being scammed:

1.  If it smells like a fish, it probably is a fish.  

2.  Look for red flags.  Dont send gift cards.  (You can reverse credit cards, thats why they dont want them).  

3.  Never give your pin code to your "bank employee".  They dont need it, and wont ask for it.  

4.  Only give private information "if you call them" to order, such as amazon, Walmart, etc.  If they call "claiming" to be with these companies, they are probably scammers.  Tell them you will call back if you decide.  Then use the number YOU look up, not the number the caller gives you (another scammer).  

5.  Scammers rely upon fear and greed.  Remember that.  Those 2 factors motivate.  Fear and greed.  Also remember "FOMO".  FEAR of MISSING OUT.  People often make poor choices because they fear they will miss out.  You have time to investigate and check out the decision.    Those "deadlines" are mostly made up to motivate you to buy now.  Find a trusted friend or family member to discuss these things with before making major decisions.  

6.  Be cautious of people who call or come to your door.  I never buy until I have time to check it out.  

7..  Warren Buffet says, "The stock market is a device where money is transferred from the impatient to the patient".  Which of those do you want to be?