VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I be entitled to SMC-L 1/2 ?

Rate this question

Tanker_God

Question

I was just awarded an increase from 70% to 100% for PTSD-Combat and was awarded SMC-L for Aid and Attendance.  I am curious if I should be getting SMC=L 1/2 as I have over 50% from below disabilities?  I am still waiting on paperwork to come in, so they could have counted the 40% lower back in the A/A and even if they used the 20% shoulder towards the A/A I should still be entitled as I am over 50% from the remaining 4 that have zero to do with anything A/A.  Also, I have never had SMC-S if that helps. Thanks

100% PTSD

40% Back

30% Chronic Sinusitis

30% IBS

20% Shoulder

10% scars

10% tinnitus

100% P&T with SMC-K and SMC-L

OIF 1

1998-2005

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

12 hours ago, Tanker_God said:

I was just awarded an increase from 70% to 100% for PTSD-Combat and was awarded SMC-L for Aid and Attendance.  I am curious if I should be getting SMC=L 1/2 as I have over 50% from below disabilities?  I am still waiting on paperwork to come in, so they could have counted the 40% lower back in the A/A and even if they used the 20% shoulder towards the A/A I should still be entitled as I am over 50% from the remaining 4 that have zero to do with anything A/A.  Also, I have never had SMC-S if that helps. Thanks

100% PTSD

40% Back

30% Chronic Sinusitis

30% IBS

20% Shoulder

10% scars

10% tinnitus

100% P&T with SMC-K and SMC-L

OIF 1

1998-2005

I agree with your reasoning that you should have at least a P-1 award for the combined 50% which would put you at the L1/2 or maybe even a P-2 award for the combined 100% which would put you at the M rating. 

2 hours ago, jamescripps2 said:

I agree with your reasoning that you should have at least a P-1 award for the combined 50% which would put you at the L1/2 or maybe even a P-2 award for the combined 100% which would put you at the M rating. 

Thanks for getting back with me and I hope I can get the SMC-L-1/2 at least.  I don't see how I could get the bump to SMC-M as I don't have another single or combined rating of 100% ?

The degree of Aid and Attendance is related to "what degree" of aid and attendance you need.  

If a person of very low training, such as a child or spouse, can tie your shoes, feed you, help you in and out of bed, etc.,, this is the regular SMC L.  

However, if you need a nurse's care, such as if you require an IV for medications, then that is a higher level.  

Now, you can get A and A even if performed by a family member.  But a family member, unless they are a registered nurse, for example, is not qualified to do things like administer prescription meds via IV.  

If your spouse or family member has a RN degree, for example, you can still get a higher level of SMC if you have the medical need, such as wound care treatment, IV's, and other things normally completed by a registered nurse.  

It does not matter if your care is given by a family member, what matters is the degree needed to give you care.  

Are you permanently bed ridden?  

4 hours ago, broncovet said:

The degree of Aid and Attendance is related to "what degree" of aid and attendance you need.  

If a person of very low training, such as a child or spouse, can tie your shoes, feed you, help you in and out of bed, etc.,, this is the regular SMC L.  

However, if you need a nurse's care, such as if you require an IV for medications, then that is a higher level.  

Now, you can get A and A even if performed by a family member.  But a family member, unless they are a registered nurse, for example, is not qualified to do things like administer prescription meds via IV.  

If your spouse or family member has a RN degree, for example, you can still get a higher level of SMC if you have the medical need, such as wound care treatment, IV's, and other things normally completed by a registered nurse.  

It does not matter if your care is given by a family member, what matters is the degree needed to give you care.  

Are you permanently bed ridden?  

I am not quite sure you read my post at all.  I put everything in the original post with all my Service connections and questions.  I was just awarded SMC-L, but I believe I should be at SMC-L1/2 as I have over 50% on top of my single 100% PTSD and even if they used my back 40% and shoulder 20% towards the A/A.  I have over 60% that has zero to do with A/A.  I also said I did not receive SMC-S.  Thanks