VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

G. I. Bill

• HadIt.com Elder

What does the G. I. Bill pay these days?  When I was using the G. I. Bill back in the early 1970's I got $320 a month to pay for tuition, books and living expenses.  This was a joke even then, so I had to work 20-30 hours a week and take full time classes.  WW11 vets got much more than Vietnam Era vets.  So even vets have to beg for Pell grants and get loans. 

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

When I got out in 1995 and began college under the Montgomery GI Bill, they paid a bit more than $400/month full-time with C's or higher .

• HadIt.com Elder

Vync

$400 a month?  That is even a worse joke than what I got.  I lived in a high crime, low rent district to even begin to pay my bills and go to junior college.  When I went to university it became impossible so I had to move in with my mother and brother so I did not pay rent.  I was an adult so this was hard. I still had bills including a car payment and insurance etc. The whole time I was in college I had to work and get pell grants etc.  I was at a major disadvantage compared to younger students whose parents paid their way.  They had fun and I just worked.