VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

JUST FOUND OUT I WON MY BVA APPEAL SINCE 2017, NOW WHAT?

Rate this question

pctinc2001

Question

congratulations! -well, relatively. Im sure you'd rather be hale and healthy, but under the circumstances I am happy to hear it! 

Do something nice for you and yours, then stash the rest somewhere and forget you have it for awhile, if you can. If you don't follow the propensity to consume economic curve (gradually increasing spending to match new income-eco theory of how people act) you'll probably have some money stashed for 'oh shoot' moments. If you hit 100% p&t don't forget to ask your state/county about Tax exemptions for homestead and vehicles- that can add up. And CHAMP VA for your dependents, and DEA eligibility as well. 

Congratulations! 

Broken, took a psych course in deviant behavior and we discussed the fact that as soon as the average person gets money, they spend money and for those that were lacking funds for quite some time they pretty much do some catching up and some to the point that it is gone before they knew it. Just look at the many lottery winners that end up broke. They never learned how to make new money work for them or to make new money turn into old money.

Pretty much, yup. It can become generationally ingrained among lower income households, too, and because of pattern recognition the kids see and learn the same behaviors. Plus, the underlying psychological effects that linger even AFTER they may have 'gotten out' and done better for themselves than they had been growing up. 

Yea, fortunately my father taught me about saving and investing back in 1970.  One very sound principal may well help.  

Example:  You get a retro check for $100,000.  (It similar with other amounts).  Dont spend it.  Invest it, instead, and spend the dividends (interest).  Keep your "principal" spend the interest.  

Your 100,000 will/should/can earn you "about" $600 to $1000 per month extra to live on indefinitely.  

There are conservative dividend paying stocks or ETF's which pay around 7 to 12 percent per year in dividends.  Many are paid quarterly, a few are paid monthly.  You probably should "not" have all your eggs in one basket but maybe 4 or 5 different (stocks/ETF's) probably in different industries, such as Oil and Gas, ETF's such as QYLD, and maybe one of your favorites.  

• Community Owner
47 minutes ago, broncovet said:

Yea, fortunately my father taught me about saving and investing back in 1970.  One very sound principal may well help.  

Example:  You get a retro check for $100,000.  (It similar with other amounts).  Dont spend it.  Invest it, instead, and spend the dividends (interest).  Keep your "principal" spend the interest.  

Your 100,000 will/should/can earn you "about" $600 to $1000 per month extra to live on indefinitely.  

There are conservative dividend paying stocks or ETF's which pay around 7 to 12 percent per year in dividends.  Many are paid quarterly, a few are paid monthly.  You probably should "not" have all your eggs in one basket but maybe 4 or 5 different (stocks/ETF's) probably in different industries, such as Oil and Gas, ETF's such as QYLD, and maybe one of your favorites.  

Good advice.. I payed off bills and still have it in the bank.  The VA still owes me back pay going back to 1993 and 1982.  Passably 1977 depending on how the court does there decision.