VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU 100% P & T Beneficary Employment

Rate this question

Shellback-

Question

Hello all sad to hear of this Great site going down was and still is of Great help to Me and many Others - I am 100% P and T TDIU how can I give My preferences to My Son to open the Postal exam and what do I submit ? I found the area that talks about My Spouse using My 10% preference and even My Mom? but what of My Son ? THX in advance Patrick = THX for ALL You Guys have done for Us for many yrs now it was Most appreciated = Fair Sailing: )

Its been my experience that the "Veteran preference" is largely an illusion.  

Many years ago, I applied at a government agency with my preference and a college degree.  

They hired people with high school degrees with no preference because of nepotism, and declined to hire me.    I checked.  

Go ahead and have him apply, but many people are "offended" to suggest that this or that candidate be hired.  

Remember, the decision makers  get to choose the "rule" with which they measure candidates, and mostly that does not include "Veterans Preference".   

A "disability preference" translates into more work for the supervisors to "provide disability assistance".  

You know, things need to be installed such as handicap ramps, allow disabled Vets to go to frequent doc appointments..etc., all of which result in extra work for the supervisor.  Who do you think covers the disabled Vets job when he is on frequent doctor appointments?  Yep, its often the supervisor.  

Discrimination against the disabled has taken a back seat to minority discrimination, sex discrimination, etc.  

Sometimes,  your disability preference  may make a difference, but more often the reverse is true.  

A disabled person mostly "gets to choose" whether or not to disclose the disability when hiring.  

My experience is that those "who dont disclose" their disabilitie(s), get more jobs than those who "disclose" their disabilities.  

A great example is hearing loss.  

I really understand why supervisors dont want to hire people, like me, who dont hear well.  

Is the supervisor supposed to "write down" every single thing the person is supposed to do?  That would take a very long time, and, even expose the supervisor to discipline.   Most of us would prefer not to have a "written record" of all our mistakes.  

It makes "sweeping the mistakes under the rug" much more difficult when there is a written record of the policy to cause the errors!  

Supervisors, therefore, have "incentives" not to hire the disabled.  Its just harder, mostly for them.  

I see valid points noted there doesnt look like I can have Son use My 10 points preference anyways only for Spouse so I guess I will just go thru the points of applying w the Postal service just like Anyone would w no points added = THX for Your experiences mentioned and its true I think about all this Fagot preferences going on now They are even shoving it in all Our faces in commercials now = take care Our Society is screwed I Pray Jesus returns very soon.

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronco

I took a four hour exam for federal jobs back in the 1970's.  I was a disabled vet with a college education. I got exactly  zero job offers.  I know I passed the test.  I did use vet preference to get a job at the post office.  The USPS told me "We have to hire you, but we don't have to keep you."  That is exactly what they did over the years trying to get rid of me.  They did get rid of me, but I filed for worker's compensation on the way out the door and they had to pay me until I got TDIU from the VA.  They threw me into the briar patch.  I got an OPM pension also after I dropped WC on account of TDIU.  If you want to experience nepotism work for the USPS or the VA. Half the people are related to each other and merit means nada.

Wow that is messed up but not to surprising to Me unfortunately My Son has some disabilities and am trying what His Mom and I can to get Him educated and some type of decent secure job and the prospects SUCK so We will do what We must for Him maybe defecting coming back over the border Illegaly and retiring like the Illegals do it = seems Our GOV is worried about Them more than Veterans and Citizen's : (

• HadIt.com Elder

Shellback

If your son can get inside the system even if he just sweeps the floor then he can possible move up.  If you are not inside then you are way outside.  The top dogs in government service pad their nests for all their friends and relatives.  At USPS you have fathers supervising their children.  Husbands supervising spouses  and hosts of relatives working in the same location.  When opening come up even if you are the most qualified by a mile you will never get the job unless you area on the inside.  VA is the same way.  You have to go along to get along.  Nothing to do with merit or being deserving.  I worked at the VA for about a year and found that job openings were already filed from inside long before they were advertised.  I got the usual letter  "Qualified but not selected" about 20 times. At USPS I just trudged along as a lowly clerk until I became totally disabled and then the USPS fired me.  I got a lawyer and sued and got my pension and then worker's compensation.  I was a 30% vet at the time and they still &&&^% me.  There were workers there who did not even speak English and they were promoted over me.  I was one of the few that had a college education but it did not matter.

2 hours ago, john999 said:

I worked at the VA for about a year and found that job openings were already filed from inside long before they were advertised.  I got the usual letter "Qualified but not selected" about 20 times.

Wow does that sounds very familiar, I had a VAMC doctor tell me that my job was going to make my symptoms worst but no one at the VARO would listen, I finally quit and filed my claims which were denied until I went back to my VAMC doctor and told him that the VARO denied my claims and he wrote a statement in my progress report that changed everything. I went from 30% to 100% schedular. I applied for and qualified for every job the VA listed from a GS 5 to a GS 7/9/11 but was never selected. This was long before I completed my BS is Business Administration. I could not work for the VA and play their politics.

On 11/17/2022 at 12:26 AM, Shellback- said:

I am 100% P and T TDIU how can I give My preferences to My Son to open the Postal exam and what do I submit?

My suggestion would be to have your son go and get familiar with the people who work at the Post Office and build a rapport. I have seen non-veterans get jobs at the Post Office faster than veterans.