VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SMP or SMC?

texasvet

Question

My mother-in-law has final stage Alzheimer's where she needs constant care and watching or she will get out of the house and wander off: once she was only wearing sandals.  She can feed and dress herself, but you never know what she will eat or what she will wear.  She can bathe herself if she is reminded to bathe.

My 90+ year old father-in-law is retired AF with a 60% VA disability and in poor health with COPD.  My wife spoke to either someone in the Veteran's Claims office or a VSO, she's not sure which, and she was sent a VA Form 21-2680, "Examination for housebound status or permanent need for regular A&A" for my MIL's doctor to fill out.  

All of this is in hope of getting some benefits, either financial or medical for my MIL.

My MIL's Primary Care doctor examined my MIL & filled out the 21-2680, but we need guidance on Section 14, "Benefit you are applying for."

The choices are SMC or SMP, but both say "survivors" and my MIL is still kicking.

So, which is correct, SMP or SMC?

Can someone help me or direct me to a resource?

Thanks

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Smp is the pension program with is income based. Not sure of the amount you can make. You will have to look that up to see if they meet the income requirements.

Smc Is for aid & attendance which is what the form that the doctor fill out.

If they meet income requirements I would check both.

I believe u would be only checking smc box

unless the VA 50% is the only income than I believe they would be able to apply for pension to

A Veteran can not get BOTH SMP (Pension) and also 60% compensation, but rather the Veteran would get the greater of the 2 (60 percent compensation or pension).  

60 percent comp, in 2023, will be (married) will be $1439.76 per month.  

The pension rate, is as follows:

If you have 1 dependent and… Your MAPR amount is (in U.S. $)
You don’t qualify for Housebound or Aid and Attendance benefits 19,320
You qualify for Housebound benefits 22,596
You qualify for Aid and Attendance benefits 29,175

Source: https://www.va.gov/pension/veterans-pension-rates/

The numbers above are per year for pension.  To find out the monthly divide by 12.  

Indeed, you can get both Pension and housebound, or pension and Aid and Attendance, as above. 

Understand, with pension, the pension number is the maximum amount per year, not necessarily what you may receive.  

Example:  You have 60 percent compensation which is $1439. per month.  You also qualify for pension AND Aid and attendance.  

But, you earned 10,000 in the previous 12 months from social security.  Therefore your pension would be $29,175 Minus the $10,000 you earned with social secuirty = $19,175.  Divide that by 12 is $1597 per month.  Since the 1597 is higher than your $1439 60 percent comp, you would get $1597 per month in this example.  

My advice is to apply for BOTH SMP (pension) and SMC  housbound/aid and attendance.  

There are 2 housebounds and 2 Aid and Attendance..one is for SMC and another is for housebound pension and still another is pension A and A.  

You will likely need a c and p exam for A and A (pension) or Housebound (pension) OR

SMC housebound/SMC A and A.

Yes its confusing, just apply and let VA figure out what you qualify for and they should send you a letter as to which is the most (compensation or pension).  

You will need to do a needs assesment (have less than $138,000 in assets), and reveal your income for pension purposes.  

And, you may well have to do a comp and pen exam, which could be done in your home if he cannot leave the home.  

My advice is to apply and apply for an increase since its highly likely you can not work, and a good chance your compensation conditions have worsened.  

AS far as whether pension or compensation will be more, that turns on at least 3 factors:

1.  What is your income? (not counting your va compensation)

2.  How many dependents?  

3.  What is your level of pension (regular pension, A and A pension, or housebound pension)?

NOTE:  If you are given aid and attendance "by a family member" you can still get aid and attendance.  Its irrelevant if you get this from a family member, employee, traveling nurse, etc.