VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep apnea question

Rate this question

capitan

Question

There is a chip in the CPAP machine. The chip transmits data to the VA. After using mine for more than five years I had to go in to raspatory for a face to face. They pulled up my machine on their computer and told me how often I had used it and how often I failed to use it. Next they asked me to make a return appointment and bring the machine in for a fine tuning because they noticed that I was having too many episodes. Before I left the appointment I was told that if I failed to use the machine I would no longer be able to order supplies and to be reinstated would require a new sleep study.

I have sleep apnea and the VA conducted the sleep study. I did fail to use the CPAP for a period of two months because I broke my nose and could not wear the mask. The broken nose was noted and treated at the VA and was verified by respiratory as being the reason for my not using the CPAP during  the period in question. I have never filed on the sleep apnea and it is not service connected, nor do I intend to file on it because I am already at the max of SMC "O" to include R-1 and there would be no gain. 

All of the CPAP readings are a matter of record in your VAMC medical records and the compensation & pension side of the DVA has access to those records. Looking back, I think that if I had been service connected for the sleep apnea, I would have stood a good chance of loosing my rating for failure to use the machine.

I also know that they still track my usage because they called me and told me that I was having fewer events since they fine tuned the machine, and that they had ordered a years worth of supplies for me, filters hoses, reservoirs etc.

I would suspect that if you did loose service connection for failure to use the CPAP, and was ever able to get re instated, it would be at a lesser rate because they are going to reduce the sleep apnea ratings across the board.

Disability compensation is based on symptoms and due to the fact that some symptoms are refractory (resistant) to medications and or medical devices I am not sure. Don't get me wrong but the VA could try to reduce a veteran's rating, but it would be a battle. Also due to COVID a lot of VA clinics are having problems maintaining schedules and again, this would be a battle because some veterans choose not to go to the VA for appointments. Yes, they should issue your machine.  

Yes.   As James Cripps stated, the va knows if you are using your cpap.  If ordered by a doctor, you should use your cpap.  You need it.  

If the mask is uncomfortable, awkward, or does not work for you, go back and your doc or perhaps respiratory therapist can try a different mask.  Or maybe tweak the pounds of air pressure.  You may need a bipap, instead of a cpap, instead.  (for comp purposes, a bipap and cpap are the same).  There are things that can be done to make the cpap more comfortable.  I use the "nasal pillows" (p10) mask.  It pushes air into the nose only, not the mouth, and is a much less instrusive mask than one that covers most of your face.  Those dont work well if you can not/do not breathe out your nose.  I have a spare full face mask for when I have nasal congestion and cant breathe out of my nose.  

It often takes some getting used to to use a cpap.  You should persist.  Its my opinion, if you dont regurarly use your cpap, yes, you could be reduced, as that suggests you dont need it..if you dont use it.  

I use mine every nite, and dont sleep well without it.  It changed my life for the better.  No more falling asleep during the day at inappropriate times.    It also treats my depression..again, poor sleep causes depression.  

And, if you dont sleep well, that is related to depression, too.  My wifes sleep doc pointed out PTSD and sleep apnea have similar symptoms.  

Unless you need to use an alternative device (ive read that some veteran are getting the surgically implanted stimulator if they can't tolerate a CPAP) like a mouthguard insert- im not sure what they are called- you gotta use the 'Pap. I was Dx'd in 2012 after years of continued drowsiness that began affecting my mental and physical health, culminating in me falling asleep at work, and while driving when I was at a light since I was no longer being 'constantly stimulated'. I would sit on the couch in and immediately drop off. 

OSA can kill you, slowly, literally, and one night you just don't wake up because your O2 sats drop far enough.