Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Does Va Request Recent Medical Records?

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

While waiting for the initial rating, does the VA request the recent medical records from the VA med center for routine doctor visits, or is the veteran suppose to request copies of medical records from each doctor/provider visit and send it to the VARO for the C-file?

Thanks, Jangrin

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Guest jangrin
PS Jangrin- the 21-4138 is something that vet reps use-Statement in Support of Claim and I think this form triggers the VA, like the 21-8940- to pay attention to what it says.

You can use this form as a cover form for anything else that you submit.

They are available at the VA web site.

In over 4 years my reps said they sent in ONE and are trying to say they sent in more as support for my claims-

I have asked for copies of them.

This is basic vet rep procedure ,to send in these statements in support of the claim- from reps- but dont depend on them- vets can send this form in themselves too with more evidence attached.

Good reps can expand on and highlight the evidence in these Statements in Support of Case-

along with making sure the claim is filed , this should be normal SOP for any rep or NSO-in sending in more evidence-

even if they do that-I suggest you do it ypurself too-

(in case the MF shows up)

Berta,

I don't know if the MF (mysterious Force) is active in my husbands claim or not, I/we have requested and are still waiting for a copy of my husbands service records and a copy of the c-file. I suppose once we get the inital claim rating we will be able to get an appointment and drive to the VARO and get a copy of the c-file ourselves rather than wait for the VA to send it.

Thanks for the form, our SO does not really send stuff in for us, he will advise to send but it is up to us. He doesn't keep any records at his office. So we can show him what we did and he will call the VARO and make sure they got it, but he does NOT want copies or anything.

I guess each SO does their own thing. As I see no set rules or regulations that they are to folow uniformly throughout the VA claims system. That may be one of the reasons veterans have a hard time getting help from the SO, there may be no rules they have to play by. Hmmm?

Jangrin

Edited by jangrin

Ha - I had to laugh Jangrin- I think you are lucky!

My former vet rep claimed he had no phone contact with the VARO at all-

then I heard him bragging to a vet that he "talks to DROs up there all the time"

He also claimed his email broke- yet the next rep that I got (whose desk is 15 feet away from his)some months ago- has a phone and can call the VARO but after 14 emails(his email works) asking him to check my evidence by a call to the RO, with 14 ridiculous replies, and no action- or at least to call the 4-5 reps my POA has employed there in an office right down the hall from the RO offices,his inaction just made me fed up and I complained to the guy who pays them all.

I think some of them do make up their own rules-

my former vet rep made up a reg in 38 CFR.

I reported his idiotic statement to their main office and wonder how many vets he told that BS too also.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

After my claim was over a couple of years old I would get copies of my VA Progress Notes and send them to the VARO. As I have said before I think that the VARO asks for the records once during its review.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Thank you,

That's what I thought, especially when the symtoms have progressed and treatment has changed and more test run. I will request recent records and send them in with simple cover sheets that lists the increases since my husband's initial claim filing.

Jangrin

Jangrin,

I got lucky with my primary doc. I obtained copies of my medical records covering 2 years after claim submission. Told him what I'd done and he asked me to leave them with him for a week. He wrote up a true "progress report" for my clinic visit that summarized the changes in the last 2 years and a prognosis. Told me what he'd done and said to get a copy and send it in with the records. Said things like "This needs to be considered for an increase in disability level." and "This needs to be considered for service connection as it's most likely caused by ...."

My VSO told me this has an even more powerful effect on my claim adjudication than a straight opinion letter. Don't know why that would be true, but I seem to be about to be awarded more than I asked for. Just a thought if you have a good relationship with your attending physicians.

Ralph

Guest RickB54
While waiting for the initial rating, does the VA request the recent medical records from the VA med center for routine doctor visits, or is the veteran suppose to request copies of medical records from each doctor/provider visit and send it to the VARO for the C-file?

Thanks, Jangrin

The va will request medical records from any faculity that you have had treatment at, as long as you advise the va of the name of the faculity and address. The va will only request records from a place once, if the records are not received within a reasonable time frame the va will decide the claim without those records. Remember the va is bound by law to request the records they are not bound by law to wait forever for the records.

This is why I advise all veterans to provide copies of all treatment records, and just think of the time saved when records are provided up front.

Guest jangrin
The va will request medical records from any faculity that you have had treatment at, as long as you advise the va of the name of the faculity and address. The va will only request records from a place once, if the records are not received within a reasonable time frame the va will decide the claim without those records. Remember the va is bound by law to request the records they are not bound by law to wait forever for the records.

This is why I advise all veterans to provide copies of all treatment records, and just think of the time saved when records are provided up front.

Thanks Rick,

That's what I thought. We should provide on-going and any new treatment records as the level of severity of symptoms can change in the length of time it can take a claim to be rated. Especially veterans with diseases that progressively get worse. We will request the recent lab tests and doctors records and then copy and send them to the VARO and also have the service officer make sure they were recieved. I thought the VA might do it automatically but I guessed wrong.

Jangrin