Jump to content
!! Advice given is in no way a substitute for consulting with a competent Veterans law firm, such as one on the NOVA advocate website !! ×
VA Disability Claims Community Forums - Hadit.com

  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • question-001.jpeg

    Have Questions? Get Answers.

    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.
      Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.
    Leading too:

    exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.
    • Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?
    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • VA Watchdog

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Ak - Alaska Veterans Benefits

Recommended Posts

State of Alaska Department of Veterans Affairs

State Benefits

This description of benefits for Alaska's Veterans and their spouses and dependants was developed by the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs to make veterans aware of the benefits the state offers and to illustrate that the benefits are from different state departments. The best way to determine if you qualify for a certain benefit is to reach the person or program throughout the contact information provided

State Employment Hiring Preference for Veterans, Prisoners of War, and National Guard Members

Workplace Alaska in the Division of Personnel in the Department of Administration is the on-line recruitment process for all the state's classified service positions. Every vacancy in the classified service, except those requiring registration with Job Service, are posted on the homepage and are available for on-line application. Vacancies are advertised in the Sunday editions of the Fairbanks News Miner, Juneau Empire, and Anchorage Daily News along with recruitment phone lines.

Veterans who possesses the necessary qualifications for a given state job classification and served on active duty and received an honorable or general discharge during the dates listed on the employment application, are eligible for a state employment hiring preference.

If a numerical rating is used in assessing preference, then Veterans are entitled to 5% or 10% of the points available. If no numerical rating device is used, then Veterans will either be afforded "consideration" or an opportunity to interview. Disabled Veterans and former prisoners of war are entitled to 10% or the opportunity to interview, all other Veterans entitled to preference will receive the 5% or be afforded "consideration".

The application and job market can be found at:


Veterans Employment Services

The Veterans Services Section of the Employment Security Division of the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development promotes employment, economic stability, and growth by operating a no-fee labor exchange that meets the needs of employers, job seekers, and veterans. The provides job placement, job matching and referral, vocational counseling, and job search assistance.

Job Centers in Anchorage, Fairbanks, Wasilla, Kenai, Juneau, and Eagle River have Local Veteran Employment Representatives and Disabled Veteran Outreach Program specialists who provide the following services to qualified vets:

Priority Job Referral

Education Assessment

Career Counseling

Job Search Workshops

Career Assessment

Special Programs

Employment Assessment


Job Development

Referral to Educational Services

Labor Market Information

Resume Assistance


Affirmative Action Plan

The State of Alaska 1998 Affirmative Action Plan affords all present and prospective state employees in the executive branch an equal opportunity for employment regardless of their veterans status - among many other factors.

The state will ensure there are no impermissible or artificial barriers for veterans or disabled veterans to cross in applying for state jobs, provide on-the-job training and assistance in locating qualified disabled applicants, recruit and employ qualified persons with disabilities and Vietnam era vets for state jobs, and sets up an informal complaint procedure. The plan is administered by the Office of Equal Employment Opportunity in the Division of Personnel.

Penny Beiler, Equal Employment Opportunity Program Manager, P.O. Box 110201, Juneau AK 99811-0201, (Juneau) Phone: (907) 465-8482 or (907) 279-0299, Fax: (907) 465-2263;Website: http://dop.state.ak.us

Recording Veterans Report of Separation Form

A veteran may record, without fee, the original or a certified copy of his or her Armed Forces Report of Separation (DD-214 Form) at any State Recorder's office of the Department of Natural Resources.

The Recorder's office maintains 14 District offices throughout the state, overseeing 34 recording districts that record, index, and archive all of the documents that create the Official Public Record of the state of Alaska.


Veterans Land Discount/Purchase Preference

The Veterans Land Discount program allows certain veterans to a 25% discount on the purchase price of state residential/recreational land. The discount may be used only once during the veteran's lifetime and may not be used in conjunction with the veterans preference.

Under the Veterans Land Sale Preference, before offering to the general public any unoccupied residential land by auction, a veteran has the exclusive opportunity purchase the land at a restricted sale at fair appraised market value. Parcels that are offered under this preference must be five acres or less, classified as settlement land and zoned for residential use only.

A fact sheet is available on benefits administered by the Alaska Department of Natural Resources, Division of Mining, Land and Water Management:


Property Tax Exemptions

Real property owned and occupied as the primary residence and permanent place of abode by a qualified disabled veteran whose disability was incurred or aggravated in the line of duty and whose disability has been rated as 50 percent or more by the military service or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, is exempt from taxation on the first $150,000.00 of assessed valuation. Contact your local municipal tax assessors office by March 15 for exemption for current year.

Disabled Veterans Parking Permits

Disabled Parking Permits are also obtained from the DMV, available to persons at least 50 percent disabled or medically handicapped, including persons disabled in the line of duty while serving in the Alaska Territorial Guard. Applicants must show reception of at least 50 percent disability compensation from a government agency or an affidavit signed by a physician licensed to practice in Alaska.

Division of Motor Vehicles

3300B Fairbanks Street

Anchorage, AK 99503.

Veterans License Plates

Veterans License Plates, with the word 'veteran' and the symbol of each branch of service, are available from the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV - click on License Plate Information) upon submission of written proof of veterans status. Fee is $30 biennially. Purple Heart recipients and Alaska National Guard members may also purchase special plates for $30. Pearl Harbor Survivors and former POWs recipients may receive a special plate at no charge. A Disabled Veteran can register one vehicle without charge and receive a specially designed registration plate that displays recognition of the disabled veteran. With proof, persons disabled in the line of duty, who are 50 percent disabled or medically handicapped as a consequence of service are eligible. The plate does not display the standard handicap symbol and does not carry with it special parking privileges; however the standard wheelchair logo may be available depending upon the level of disability as described below.

Veteran Housing and Residential Loans

The Alaska Housing Finance Corporation (AHFC) administers the Veterans Mortgage Program which offers financing for qualified veterans at lower interest rates. Active duty service in the Armed Forces, Public Health Service, NOAA or service as a cadet at the US Military, Air Force, Coast Guard or Naval Academy may qualify. Loans are generally processed rapidly, require little or no down payment, and often include lower interest.

To apply for a loan under this program, contact any AHFC-approved lender. For details see: http://www.AHFC.state.ak.us (Go to Loan Programs, then select Veterans Mortgage Program)

To contact the Alaska Housing Finance Corporation write to PO Box 101020, Anchorage, AK 99510-1020. You can also visit 4300 Boniface Parkway in Anchorage or call (907) 338-6100 or 1-800-478-AHFC(2432) outside of Anchorage, but within Alaska.

AHFC also offers a Veterans Interest Rate Preference, in which a veteran receives a one percent lower interest rate on the first $30,000 of a bank loan when purchasing a new home, ask the bank handling the financing to implement this program for you. AHFC grants a preference to veterans for the rent or sale of a portion of its low cost housing projects units.

For information on federal home loan programs call 1-800-827-1000 or visit their web page at: http://www.homeloans.va.gov.

Hunting and Fishing Licenses

Resident hunting and sport fishing licenses are available at no charge to honorably discharged veterans with a 50 percent or greater service-connected disability and Alaska residency. Applicants must have lived in Alaska for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the application.

Veterans may obtain an application by calling (907)465-2376, emailing Leah_Lakip@fishgame.state.ak.us, or writing State of Alaska, Department of Fish and Game, Licensing Section, P.O. Box 25525, Juneau, AK 99802.

State Camping Pass

The legislature granted Disabled Alaskan Veterans (DAV) the right to receive one Alaska State Park Camping Pass free of charge. The DAV Camping Pass, which is valid in all developed Alaska State Park campgrounds, is good for two years.

To receive a free DAV camping pass, an eligible disabled veteran must present proof of a service connected disability and Alaska residency at either the Anchorage or Fairbanks DNR Public Information Centers (see below). Proof of residency can be in the form of an Alaskan Driver's License, Alaska Sport Fishing License, Alaska Voters Registration Card, or other documentation suitable to the department that proves Alaska residency.

Evidence of service connected disability can be provided by the presentation of a Veteran's Administration Patient Data Card (red, white, and blue) imprinted with "service connected disability" under the photo identification, or a current year letter from the US Department of Veteran's Affairs, which states the person has a service-connected disability and is signed by the Veteran Services Officer. Information on obtaining either the card or the letter can be found through the local Veteran's Administration office or calling 1-800-827-1000.

For details, see http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/asp/vetpass.htm and http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/land/factsheets/vet_prog.pdf .

DNR Public Information Centers:




550 W 7th Ave, Suite 1260

3700 Airport Way

400 Willoughby Ave 4th Floor

Anchorage AK 99501-3557

Fairbanks, AK 99709-4699

Juneau, AK 99801-1724

Phone: (907) 269-8400

Phone: (907) 451-2705

Phone: (907) 465-3400

Fax: (907) 269-8901

Fax: (907) 451-2706

Fax: (907) 586-2954

TDD: (907) 269-8411

TDD: (907) 451-2770

Alaska Marine Highway Pass

A one-year pass on the ferries of the Alaska Marine Highway is available for veterans having a service-related disability. This pass entitles the disabled passenger and an attendant (if required by a physician) to travel at 50% of the regular passenger fare, between Alaska ports only, on all vessels, year-round.

To request a pass application, call 1-800-642-0066 (Text telephone for the speech or hearing impaired: 1-800-764-3779) or write Alaska Marine Highway System, Attention: Pass Desk, 1591 Glacier Avenue, Juneau, Alaska 99801.


Free Tuition for Spouse or Dependent of Armed Services Member

The spouse or dependent of an armed services member who died in the line of duty or who died as a result of injuries sustained while in the line of duty or who was listed by the Department of Defense as a Prisoner of War or as Missing in Action is entitled to a waiver of undergraduate tuition and fees the students must be in good standing in a state supported educational institution in Alaska.


UAA Financial Aid Office:

UAF Financial Aid Office:

UAS Financial Aid Office:

3211 Providence Drive

P.O. Box 756360

11120 Glacier Hwy

Anchorage, AK 99508

Fairbanks, AK 99775

Juneau, AK 99801

Phone: (907) 786-1586

Phone: (907) 474-7256

Phone: (907) 465-6255

Military Credit Towards State Retirement

Certain members of the various state retirement programs may be eligible for additional credit for up to five years military service. Military service will increase your retirement service and monthly benefits. Although military service is not membership service, in certain cases it may count toward vesting and retirement eligibility. Visit site below, click on the retirement system of interest, scroll to Military Credit.

In the National Guard and Naval Militia Retirement System, anyone with at least 20 years of combined Alaska guard service, guard service in any other state, active military service and the reserves of them, of which at least 5 years must have been satisfactory service in any branch, may receive a small benefit upon separation from the Alaska army guard, air guard, or naval militia if you meet minimum eligibility provisions.



Birthday Cards from the Governor

Birthday greetings from Governor Sarah Palin are available to veterans 80 years and older. Veterans or family or friends of veterans should contact the governor's office at least four weeks in advance and supply the name and address of the person to receive the card and appropriate proof of age. Send request to: Constituent Relations, Governor Sarah Palin, P.O. Box 110001, Juneau, AK 99811, (907) 465-3500; or fax request to: Fax 465- 3532; or email request to: office_of_the_governor@gov.state.ak.us

Governor's Veterans Advocacy Award

Individuals who demonstrate an extraordinary personal concern, compassion, and commitment to veterans causes, veterans, and their families are eligible for the annual Governor's Veterans Advocacy Award. A winner could also have formed a new, innovative or creative volunteer program or project that benefits vets. Accomplishments must have been performed on a volunteer basis. Governor's Veterans Advocacy Award will be presented on Veterans Day, November 11th. Nominations are evaluated by the Alaska Veterans Advisory Council, and submitted to: Office of Veterans Affairs, P.O. Box 5800, Ft. Richardson, AK 99505, (907) 428-6016, Fax: (907) 428-6019, jerry_beale@ak-prepared.com

High School Diplomas for World War II Veterans

Operation Recognition, a nation-wide effort, recognizes that many World War II veterans went off to war and never returned to high school to get a diploma.

In Alaska, the Department of Education and Early Development may award diplomas to World War II vets living in Alaska, including Alaska Territorial Guard members, who served during the period of August 7, 1940 to July 5, 1947 and were honorably discharged or died in active service or were released from active duty because of a service-related disability.

A family member may apply on behalf of a veteran who is deceased or incapacitated. Even ex-GIs with a Graduation Equivalency Diploma could apply.

Apply on the internet at: http://www.eed.state.ak.us/wwIIapp.html

Apply by mail to:

Donna Hurley

Alaska Department of Education & Early Development

801 West 10th Street, Suite 200

Juneau, AK 99801

Phone: (907) 465-2815

Fax: (907) 465-3156


Military and Veterans Memorial Landmark Property

The Military and Veterans Landmark Property Program formally recognize memorials around the state built to honor the military and veterans of the armed forces. Information about the memorials is important to understanding the sacrifices made by veterans in Alaska and America, the role of the military, and the history of our nation's wars.

Information about memorials will be preserved by the State of Alaska as an important part of its history. A record of each approved Landmark Property will be maintained by the Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, including a list of properties to be kept, to facilitate visitation to memorials for those interested in doing so. The state will provide an attractive, numbered certificate, suitable for framing, at no cost. For details and applications, contact: Office of Veterans Affairs, P.O. Box 5800, Ft. Richardson, AK 99505, (907) 428-6016, Fax: 428-6019, jerry_beale@ak-prepared.com

Wartime Letters - The Legacy Project

The Legacy Project is a unique and meaningful way to honor all veterans by preserving letters written by soldiers on the front and letters written to them from home.

A national, volunteer non-profit agency, known as The Legacy Project, began collecting letters from any American wartime period to preserves these treasured documents and therefore heighten appreciation of them.

Letters can be ones personally written or received, or written by a relative. These may include eyewitness accounts of battles or acts of heroism, encounters with famous military leaders, love letters, or any other irreplaceable messages or little-known stories that will offer historians and future generations a better understanding of those who served and sacrificed for country.

Submit copies, or originals if you prefer, to: Office of Veterans Affairs, P.O. Box 5800, Ft. Richardson, AK 99505, (907) 428-6016, Fax: 428-6019, jerry_beale@ak-prepared.com

Pasted from <http://www.ak-prepared.com/vetaffairs/state_benefits.htm>

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use