VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Asbestos

Rate this question

Billyboy

Question

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If you have an asbestos related disease, and this disease causes HBP, and you are on the VA asbestos MOS Navy PIES list as having had probable or high exposure due to your MOS, then in this way HBP can be service connected.(Or if you were even in USAF, Army or USMC-as long as your MOS exposed you to asbestos and you have asbestos disease-the Navy is only vbranch with a PIES list as to occupations in service because those old ships were full of it)

The asbestos disability has to be first found as due to service.

with medical evidence showing the medical nexus.

I do not have an asbestos related disease! I was in the Coast Guard and the ship was full of asbestos, the bulk heads (walls) were covered with asbestos and our bunks were next to the wall, very close quarters, also all the steam line were covered and in the engine room was a ton of the stuff. I have a Statement of Fact from a friend who told me all this. The ship was launched Nov-30-1926. Do you know where to find more info then I have? This is all I have http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/WEBCUT.../Alert1927.html What I was wondering is can asbestos cause hypertension or any cases I can check out. Just need help, bill

• HadIt.com Elder
I do not have an asbestos related disease! I was in the Coast Guard and the ship was full of asbestos, the bulk heads (walls) were covered with asbestos and our bunks were next to the wall, very close quarters, also all the steam line were covered and in the engine room was a ton of the stuff. I have a Statement of Fact from a friend who told me all this. The ship was launched Nov-30-1926. Do you know where to find more info then I have? This is all I have http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/WEBCUT.../Alert1927.html What I was wondering is can asbestos cause hypertension or any cases I can check out. Just need help, bill

From what I know exposure to asbestos doesn't cause HBP. I gather you are grasping at straws trying to service connect this. Good luck but I doubt you'll do it. jmo

pr

Eek! It would depend on what TYPE of hypertension you have. Asbestos exposure can lead to pulmonary hypertention. Asbestos related diseases also take quite some time to show up.

If you type in asbestos hypertension into a web search -- it will give you the scoop.

So if you have pulmonary hypertension -and other symptoms of asbestos exposure - there might be a connection. I think it would be an uphill battle to connect regular hypertension to asbestos exposure without other signs.

From Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/asbestosi...0482/DSECTION=7

Complications

The severity of asbestosis is generally related to the amount and duration of exposure to asbestos. Effects of the disease may be so mild as to cause almost no symptoms. Or the condition may create such a reduced flow of oxygen as to be disabling or even fatal. Asbestosis may lead to the following conditions:

High blood pressure in your lungs. Asbestosis-related scar tissue may eventually compress or obliterate your lungs' small blood vessels, causing high blood pressure in your lungs' arteries (pulmonary hypertension).

Heart problems. Pulmonary hypertension can lead to enlargement and failure of your heart's right ventricle (cor pulmonale). Your heart consists of four chambers — two upper chambers called atria and two lower chambers called ventricles. Your right ventricle assists in pumping oxygen-poor blood from your organs and tissues to your lungs, where your blood receives a new boost of oxygen. As your pulmonary arteries narrow, your heart's right ventricle must work harder to pump blood through your lungs. Initially, your heart tries to compensate by thickening its walls and dilating the right ventricle to increase the amount of blood it can hold. But this measure only works temporarily, and eventually — after a period of a few years — the right ventricle weakens and fails from the extra strain.

Phillip, being a layman and trying to navigate the VA system, some times you just need to reach for that straw. I have had high B/P since service, the two dr. I saw when I got out of the service are dead and all their records destroyed. So I reach for straws!

• HadIt.com Elder

Billyboy, no problem. It's just that "to me" it's highly unlikely. Since you've had it since service, are there any records? What do your SMR's show? Discharge physical? Are you sure Dr's are dead? Could they have transferred their records to another practice? How about local hospital outpatient and lab records? Statements from loved ones and family? Just some thoughts.