VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Crappy Night At The Post Office

Rate this question

nlualum82

Question

Last night was high on the stress level.

The machine I had to operate was short-changed for labor in favor of others.

Those who have worked on a DBCS may know the frustration of being alone running over 60k mailieces until it is too late to prevent multiple overfull stackers with their flashing lights and annoying beepers - there were over 150 on that run and you couldn't clear one fast enough before 3 more started.

When I wasn't alone, I sometimes had substandard help - poorly trained newbies.

When it was nearly over and the machine was stopped, I went to get a piece of equipment that the trays are placed in, about the dimensions of a refrigerator - it wouldn't roll! I was shaking it, rocking it like a vending machine that had stolen my money and yelling. Had that look on my face that people compare to Charles Manson (my current beard and hearing aid hiding hair really set off the eyes!)

Workers were trying to calm me down or just staying clear.

I wonder if management will get a report from a witness and haul me in for an inquisition.

I wish I could get a little down time from the stress - don't know if my VA psych. does that, if the post office allows it, or if the psych would be available to write it up.

3 shifts left this week. 7 years, 2 months and 1 week until I qualify for retirement (though I don't know what I'll be able to afford)

Gary

70% PTSD/MDD

50% hearing loss

10% tinnitus

10% L knee injury

10% L knee degenerative osteoarthritis

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

:angry: Thanks Gary - u have described a job that I had also Automation with the Post Office - DBCS for a postal zone - I am now out of there and retired after 10 years, dont know how I survived - u r right this is the worst thing that could possibly happen to a vet - being subjected to management/supervision of unknown origin - this is the worst job in Post Office - u have to do it every working day without any assistance unless u got lucky and had overtime or an extra casuals help - usually never - on ur own u have to accomplish this without any assistance - u have to process more mail than is humanly possible nightly until dawn - u ask for help and get the answer - nobody here to help - then u just do ur best - and usually somehow u get it done - over and over again - never know what will happen when u come to work - they call it a tour - for one nite - I remember tour in Vietnam was one year!! Ya - its almost impossible to complete but u do it - no help, no equipment {GMC's u have to find urself}- no nothing - mail is everywhere - u gotta go find ur zone urself - even its Automated {ha ha}- then they put more and more coming into the mix -working alone u cant even take time to go piss or anything - u just push urself to get the job done somehow - ET,s help when u can get them to come to fix the machines which jam often for lack of maintenance- even a good nite is not easy when mail volume is lower - because the job has to be done - and u have to help others who have problems with their machines also - its just amazing every nite that the mail get done by morning and somehow get delivered - I did my part to get the mail done right - but it had taken its toll on me - I got SC for whatever happened to me but it was in part from the mess and stress of that torture. I thank u for ur post as it confirms alot of my own experience - no one would ever think its possible to work in a dungeon like I did.

-

• HadIt.com Elder

Gary with your rating percentage you should probably apply for disability retirement and then put in your papers for TDIU. These people will drive you to do something to get yourself fired, so they can attempt to kick you out withour a retirement. Your disability retirement will convert to a regular retirement when you reach 62.

• HadIt.com Elder

Gary,

The PO is like the Amitiville house "GET OUT, GET OUT"........Take your disability OPM and leave those scumbags in your dust, trying to stick it out , only to find out they are trying to stick it to you is not a good thing.