Jump to content
!! Advice given is in no way a substitute for consulting with a competent Veterans law firm, such as one on the NOVA advocate website !! ×
VA Disability Claims Community Forums - Hadit.com

  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • question-001.jpeg

    Have Questions? Get Answers.

    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.
      Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.
    Leading too:

    exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.
    • Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?
    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • VA Watchdog

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

In - Indiana Veterans Benefits

Recommended Posts

State of Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs

Employment Assistance

With funding from the U.S. Department of Labor, Veterans' Employment and Training Service, the Indiana Department of Workforce Development provides services to Hoosier Veterans. Through the Disabled Veterans' Outreach Program (DVOP), and the Local Veterans' Employment Representative (LVER) Program, Workforce Development Offices throughout the State are equipped to assist Hoosier Veterans with their transition from the service to civilian life. The DVOPs specialize in tailored training and job placement opportunities for veterans with service-connected disabilities. LVERs coordinate services provided veterans including counseling, testing, and identifying training and employment opportunities. Contact the nearest Indiana Workforce Development Office and ask for the location of the closest veteran's representative. Offices having Veterans' representatives include:

Anderson (765) 642-4981 ext 241 & 240

Auburn (260) 925-0124 ext 225 & 227

Bedford (812) 279-4400 ext 227

Bloomington (812) 331-6002 ext 242 & 243

Columbus (812) 376-3351 ext 23 & 22

Elkhart (574) 295-0105 ext 19, 20 & 21

Evansville (812) 424-4473 ext 238 233, 234 & 239

Fort Wayne (260) 745-3555 ext 356 351, 357 & 352

Franklin (317) 736-5531

Gary (219) 981-1520 ext 325 & 339

Hammond (219) 933-8332 ext 308 309 & 310

Indy Westside

(317) -246-5400

(317) -246-5415

(317) -246-5416

(317) -246-5417

Indy Metro

(317) 684-2400

(317) 684-2423

(317) 684-2418

Indy East

(317) -358-4501

(317) -358-4523

(317) -358-4522

(317) -358-4524

Kokomo (765) 459-0571 ext 3019 & 3036

Lafayette (765) 474-5411 ext 134, 138 & 136

LaPorte (219) 362-2175

Lawrenceburg (812) 537-1117 ext 234

Linton (812) 847-4479

Madison (812) 265-3734 ext 218

Marion (765) 668-8911 ext 224 & 225

Martinsville (765) 342-3324

Michigan Street (317) -524-4580

Muncie (765) 289-1861 ext 152 & 153

New Albany (812) 948-6102 ext 122 140 & 127

New Castle (765) 529-3010

Portage (219) 762-6592

Richmond (765) 962-8591 ext 211 213, & 214

Shelbyville (317) 392-3279 ext 308 & 332

South Bend (574) 233-6175 ext 139 & 142

Terre Haute (812) 234-6602 ext 369 370, & 372

Vincennes (812) 882-8770

In addition to the above, the State Merit System provides for the addition of points for veterans applying for merit positions or promotions within State Government. Ref: IC 4-15-2-18.

Golden Hoosier Passport

A Hoosier Golden Passport provides unlimited admission to all Indiana State owned parks, recreation areas, reservoirs, forests, historic sites, museums, memorials and other Department of Natural Resource (DNR) facilities. The pass is good for one calendar year.

Persons eligible for a Disabled American Veteran license plate under IC 9-18-18-1 may purchase the Hoosier Golden Passport at DNR facilities around the State. If you have Disabled American Veteran plates on the vehicle simply drive to the gate and the attendant will sell you the Hoosier Golden Passport. If you do not have the plate but believe you are eligible you will be given a form to request the plate, which you must send to the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs for verification.

Former Prisoners of War will receive their Hoosier Golden Passport in the mail after their plates are issued. If you do not receive yours in a reasonable time, or have other plates on your vehicle but are entitled to POW plates, contact the Department of Natural Resources at 1-800-622-4931.

High School Diploma Program for Word War I and World War II Veterans

Veterans who served between April 6, 1917 and November 11, 1918 (World War I), or December 7, 1941 and December 31, 1946 (World War II) may apply to the Indiana Department of Veterans' Affairs for issuance of an high school diploma. Veterans must have:

attended public or nonpublic high school in Indiana prior to military service

been a student in good standing

not graduated or received a diploma because of leaving high school for military service

and, been honorably discharged from the armed forces of the United States

Veterans, or their surviving spouses or eligible family members, may submit application to the Department of Veteran Affairs.

Indiana Veterans Memorial Cemetery

The Indiana Veterans Memorial Cemetery opened for internments on December 1, 1999. The Cemetery is located adjacent to the Madison State Hospital and Clifty Falls State Park in Madison, Indiana. Any Hoosier veteran eligible to be buried in a national cemetery will be eligible for burial in the Cemetery. The spouse of an eligible veteran will also be eligible to be buried there. For an application for burial contact the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs. To schedule an interment contact the Cemetery Superintendent at 1415 North Gate Road, Madison, IN 47250, 812-273-9220/FAX 812-273-9221. Ref: IC 10-5-25.

Burial allowances:

Each County Auditor is authorized to pay up to an amount not to exceed $100 for the burial of a veteran or the veteran's spouse, and to pay up to $100 for the setting of a federal headstone. Veterans must have received an honorable discharge, and an application must be filed with the county auditor in the county of residence. Ref: IC 10-5-3-1.

Motor Vehicle License Plates

Indiana currently has the following license plates available to eligible veterans:

Hoosier Veteran Plates:

Any resident of the State who was honorably separated from the active Armed Forces can purchase a Hoosier Veteran license plate. Simply take your DD-214 or your Discharge Certificate to your local BMV office and request the special plate. There is a $15 charge for the Hoosier Veteran plate.

Disabled Veteran Plates:

Disabled Veteran plates are the same as handicap plates in the State of Indiana. These are strictly limited to those individuals who have a serious mobility impairment due to a service-connected disability. Applications may be obtained from either the BMV or the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs. The Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs must verify the veteran's eligibility. Ref: IC 9-18-18-1, IC 9-18-18-2.

Ex-Prisoner of War Plates:

The POW license plate is available to all ex-prisoners of war or to the surviving spouse of a deceased POW. Applications for these plates are available from the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs. The Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs must verify the eligibility of the applicant. Ref: IC 9-18-17-1.

Purple Heart Plates:

Any Hoosier Veteran who has received the Purple Heart Medal is authorized to have these special license plates. Applications may be obtained at the BMV or from the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs. The veteran must present official documentation of the award, and the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs must verify the veteran's eligibility. Ref: IC 9-18-19-1, IC 9-18-19-2, IC 9-18-19-3.

All plates may be purchased through the mail or at your local license branch. All plates except the Hoosier Veteran plate must be applied for through the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs. The Hoosier Veteran plate does not require the completion of an application form, as do the other veteran plates. For more information on each plate, see eligibility for veteran license plates.

The application form may be downloaded and then either mailed, faxed, or brought to the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs (phone numbers and address are on the form). Applications for the Purple Heart plate must include documentation of the award. Applications for a Disabled Veteran plate must have the VA claim number. Approved applications are returned by mail to the applicant. They cannot be faxed since the required embossed seal on approved applications must be visible. Most applications will be approved within two (2) days after receipt. Applications may also be completed in person at the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs, 302 W. Washington Street, Room E120, Indianapolis between the hours of 8:00 A.M. and 4:30 P.M. Applications for Disabled Veteran plates can be verified only during office hours at the VA Regional Office (they close at 4:00 P.M.). It is recommended that you call first to be sure an approving authority will be available. In the Indianapolis calling area: 232-3910. Toll free in Indiana: 1/800/400-4520.

* Plate requires the completion and approval of the application form.

Peddlers, Vendors, or Hawkers License

State law provides that any wartime veteran who has an honorable discharge shall be granted these licenses by all cities and counties free of charge. See your county auditor. Ref: IC 25-25-2-1. (IC 25-25-2-3 exempts any county having a consolidated city from this rule.)

Property Tax deductions

Property tax deductions are available to disabled Hoosier Veterans under the following conditions:

A $12,480 dollar deduction is available to veterans who:

Served at least 90 days of honorable service.


Are totally disabled (not necessarily service-connected but the disability must be evidenced by a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs pension certificate).


Are at least 62 years old and 10% service-connected disabled.

Note: This deduction is not available if the assessed value of the real property owned by the veteran is in excess of $113,000.

A $24,960tax deduction is available for veterans who:

Served honorably in the Armed Forces during any period of wartime.


Are at least 10% service-connected disabled.

A $37,440 tax deduction is available for any veteran who:

a. Served honorably during any period of wartime.


b. Is 100% service connected-disabled.


c. Is at least 62 years of age with at least a 10% service-connected disability.


A statutory disability rating for Pulmonary TB is not eligible.

Active duty for training with the National Guard or Reserves is eligible only if the disability occurs from an event during the period of active duty and that duty was performed during wartime.

The surviving spouse of the veteran is eligible for the veteran's tax deduction. The spouse must apply in his or her own name. Ref: IC 6-1.1-12-14, IC 6-1.1-12-15.

These figures take effect January 1 2005 and will be payable with the 2006 property tax bills

Remission of Fees (Free Tuition) for the Child(ren) of a Disabled Veteran

The natural or legally adopted child(ren) of a disabled veteran may be eligible for remission of fees (free tuition) at any state-supported post secondary school or university in the State of Indiana. This applies at any age as long as the child was adopted by age 24 and the child is a resident of Indiana.

The Remission of Fees is good for 124 semester hours of education and may be used for either undergraduate or graduate level work. The amount remitted is 100% of tuition and all mandatory fees. The term "mandatory fees" is defined as any fee that must be paid by every student attending the institution. Ref: IC 20-12-19-1, IC 10-5-16.5-3.

Eligibility Rules for Remission of Fees

The veteran must have served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces during a period of wartime, and must have been a resident of the State of Indiana (filed state income taxes) for not less than 36 consecutive months during his/her lifetime.


The veteran must be declared to be service-connected disabled with a rating of 0% or greater (as of July 1 2005) by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, or the Department of

Defense (if the Department of Defense, the veteran must supply official documentation).


The veteran received a Purple Heart Medal.

(Official documentation of the award is required.)


The veteran was a resident of Indiana at the time of entry into the service and was declared a POW or MIA after January 1, 1960.


The student was a veteran-related pupil at the Indiana Soldiers' and Sailors' Children's Home.

ROF form

Application for Remission of Fees for a Child of Disabled Veteran

The 07/08 School Year (beginning August of 2007) "Remission of Fees" form will be available soon. Please visit the following link for updates and availability: www.in.gov/veteran

Resident Veteran Hunting and Fishing License

Any Indiana resident who is service-connected disabled by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs may purchase a license to hunt and fish in the State of Indiana for a reduced fee.

In order to receive this benefit the veteran must complete the Application for Reduced Fee Hunting and Fishing License for Disabled Veterans available from County Veteran Service Officers, from the Department of Natural Resource offices, or from the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs. The form verifies that the veteran is service-connected disabled and authorizes the reduced fee and is verified by the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs. Ref: IC 14-8-2-228.3.

The Indiana Soldiers and Sailors Children's Home

The Soldiers' and Sailors' Children's Home, located in Knightstown, provides for the care and education of the children of veterans and members of the active Armed Forces. There are entrance provisions for other relatives of veterans if space is available at the Home. Eligibility rules and applications are available from: Superintendent, ISSCH, 11410 N. State Road 140, Knightstown IN. 46148-9718. Or, you may phone (765) 345-5141. Ref: IC 16-33-4-1 through IC 6-1.1-12-17.

The Veterans Home

The Indiana Veterans Home in West Lafayette provides nursing and domiciliary care for any Hoosier Veteran with at least one day of wartime service. To qualify you must have been a resident of Indiana for at least three years. The Home is open to both veterans and their spouses. For more information write to the Home at: Indiana Veterans Home, 3851 N. River Rd., West Lafayette, IN. 47906-3762 or call (765) 463-1502. Ref: IC 10-6-1-7.

Vital Documents For Veterans Benefits

The Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs and the Indiana State Archives have copies of DD-214's on file for many Hoosier Veterans who entered the service from Indiana. Copies of these will be provided upon request to the Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs. The processing time for such a request is usually one or two weeks. The Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs or your County Veterans Service Officer can assist you with the paperwork to obtain other documents from the federal government. Ref: IC 10-5-7-1.

Records may also be requested directly from the appropriate military records custodian or the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100 by completing a Standard Form 180.

Download Indiana State and Federal Benefit Information brochure

Pasted from <http://www.ai.org/veteran/sso/brochure/index.html>

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use