Jump to content
!! Advice given is in no way a substitute for consulting with a competent Veterans law firm, such as one on the NOVA advocate website !! ×
VA Disability Claims Community Forums - Hadit.com
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • question-001.jpeg

    Have Questions? Get Answers.

    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.
      Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.
    Leading too:

    exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.
    • Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?
    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • VA Watchdog

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Me - Maine Veterans Benefits

Recommended Posts

State of Maine Department of Veterans Affairs

Maine Veterans' Memorial Cemetery System

The Maine Veterans' Memorial Cemetery System consists of three cemeteries. One of which is located in Caribou and two located in Augusta. Currently the system is undergoing the design process for development of a cemetery in Springvale.

By law, the State of Maine holds title to all grave lots. The State will, without charge, open and close the grave and furnish perpetual care. Military rank or civilian stature will not be given consideration in selection or size of individual graves. Consequently, all graves will be equal in size and type. Selection of the lot will be made by the Maine Veterans Memorial Cemetery System office in the order that burial requests occur. Eligible dependents will be buried adjacent to the plot of the buried veteran.

Contact Information:

David Richmond, Superintendent

Glenda Knowlan, Office Manager

Telephone: 207-287-3481

Email: mvmcs@maine.gov

Pre-Registration Eligibility Application

Flower Policy

Hours of Operation

Cemetery Brochure

VA National Cemetery Grave Locator

Veterans Dependents Educational Benefits

This program is administered by the Bureau of Maine Veterans Services. Qualifying dependents are eligible for tuition waiver benefits as defined in Title 37B, Chapter 7, Section 505(2) of the State of Maine Statutes. Dependents under this program must attend a State of Maine state-supported postsecondary vocational school or institution of collegiate grade. Details pertaining to program requirements, information and application may be obtained by clicking on the links below:

VDEB Brochure

VDEB Application

Motor Vehicle Related Benefits and Services

The following motor vehicle plates are available through the Division of Motor Vehicles for Maine veterans:

Veteran Plate

Congressional Medal of Honor

Disabled Veteran Plate

Disabled Veteran Motorcycle Plate

Former POW Plate

Pearl Harbor Survivor Plate

Purple Heart Plate

Sample pictures to include information on criteria and fee/exemptions may be viewed by clicking the following link: sample veteran plates

Decals for certain mlitary awards and for all five branches of the service are not available for use with the veterans' license plate. Detailed information on the decal program may be obtained by by clicking the following link: Decals

Military Discharge Requests

Copies of military discharges (DD214 form or equivalent) are required as proof of service when applying for benefits offered through state and federal agencies as well as local municipalities. Below is a list of resources for accessing copies of military discharges.

1. If you are a veteran whose home of record at time of entry into the service was the State of Maine then the Bureau of Veterans' Services may have a copy of your DD214 (or equivalent) on file. Applications are available on line, however your computer must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed in order to open the form. A free copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader may be obtained by clicking Adobe Acrobat Reader. Once you are ready to download the form, click the following link for the application. The completed application will need to be mailed to our Bureau for processing. Requests generally are responded to within two business days of receipt.

2. If you entered from another state then you should visit the website of the National Association of State Directors of Veterans Affairs for a listing of state directors by clicking NASDVA.

3. The National Archives and Records Administration may also be able to assist in providing you with a copy from the National Personnel Records Center. Visit their website by clicking NARA and follow the instructions for completing a request.

Property Tax Exemption Brochure

Recreational Licenses and Privileges

Complimentary Military Hunting and Fishing Licenses

Disabled Veterans Hunting and Fishing Licenses

License Provisions for Members of the Military

Disabled Veterans Access to State Parks

Veterans Small Business Loans

The Finance Authority of Maine has a Veterans Small Business Loan Program whereby eligible resident veterans may obtain business loans from local lending institutions, which may be guaranteed up to a certain percentage (based on the amount of the loan) by the State of Maine.

The Authority does not make direct loans.

Veterans interested in applying for htis program must provide the Finance Authority of Maine with a copy of their DD214 (military discharge document). Information on this program may be obtained by contacting the Finance Authority of Maine as follows:


PO BOX 949


Tel.: 207-623-3263

Website address: http://www.famemaine.com/

Assistance in obtaining copies of DD214s may be obtained by contacting the Bureau of Maine Veterans Services at 207-626-4464 or by clicking on the following link to download and application to complete and mailing it to the address shown on the form: DD214 application

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Veterans receiving VA benefits may select any program that is approved by the Department of Veteran Affairs leading to a degree offered at Napa Valley College. Check with the NVC Certifying Official if your program is approved by the VA. Only one program may be pursued under certification for benefits. If the veteran decides to major in two programs at the same time, only one will be certified. Veterans may receive VA benefits for a second degree and for courses taken after completion of a first degree.Veterans may change a program of study and continue to receive benefits if the new program is approved by VA.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use