VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Foot Drop-brace

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Guest jangrin

VA clinic for DMII foot check. The NP that did the exam is making a recommendation for my husband to have a foot brace for drop foot. SHe said it would be up to his VA primary doctor to coordinate the brace/fitting etc.

What follow-up do you recommend for us to do? Does this make a difference for PN or for SMC and his VA claim?

Any advise from those who are curently wearing this type of brace?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Guest terrysturgis

Jangrin, my outside Doctor prescribed one for my left foot. I had to wear it at night while sleeping. I had a lot of trouble sleeping with that brace on and it did not help with the pain so I quit using it.

As far as a claim I believe you should keep it in mind. I feel the decision for the conditions you have claims in for now should not be too far off. Say you get a high rating for PN, DMII, etc. and win 100% P&T it would be a moot point but if the rating is low, add the drop foot and anything else needed to achieve the goal. The waiting is hard but as I said "I feel you are getting close". Take care. Terry Sturgis

Guest jangrin
Jangrin, my outside Doctor prescribed one for my left foot. I had to wear it at night while sleeping. I had a lot of trouble sleeping with that brace on and it did not help with the pain so I quit using it.

As far as a claim I believe you should keep it in mind. I feel the decision for the conditions you have claims in for now should not be too far off. Say you get a high rating for PN, DMII, etc. and win 100% P&T it would be a moot point but if the rating is low, add the drop foot and anything else needed to achieve the goal. The waiting is hard but as I said "I feel you are getting close". Take care. Terry Sturgis

Terry,

Thanks for the encouragement, as always. You are a great friend. Chuckles and I are anxiously awaiting a decision. I know we are close, as we got a call from the VARO rater. We should hear something by next Friday or the beginning of the follwing week-14 days or so). She was very nice and I hope to share some good news very soon.

Light a candle and say a prayer, not only for us but for all the vets and their families,

Jangrin and Chuckles

Guest jangrin
If you get the brace don't forget to request clothing allowance.

Thank you Pete,

Why do we get a clothing allowance for the foot brace? I'm just wondering. How do you apply for that?

Pete on another topic. Please read the post I sent to Terry as I feel it also applies to you. You are a great man with a very big heart. Thanks for opening your heart to me and my family. You certainly are a light in the storm and I appreciate the gifts of time, compassion, understanding, patience and most of all love for a brother and his family, you have given us.

I know that we will hear something from the VA very soon as they called us this past week and we need to be patient as they are trying very hard to figure out what is the "real" scoop as far as Chuckles' disabilities and medical problems. I really feel our rater is a "good" lady who wants to do the right thing by us. (go figure).We truly hope we have good news to share soon.

We hope to be able to meet up with you someday, at least to be able to say thankyou for the unselfish love you have shared with us.

Jangrin & Chuckles

Edited by jangrin

• HadIt.com Elder

Dear Jan and Chuckles:

You guys have had a long road but you stuck together and plowed ahead. Moving in the middle of your fight with the VA took guts. Someday we can meet as I have family in Austin and maybe we can meet and have coffee or a nice lunch or dinner.

If you ever head to Dallas we can try a linkup that way also. It would be an honor to meet you guys. Or maybe you might not as I have met 2 Hadit Members who died shortly after we met. I have met 3 others and they are doing ok but I don't hear from them

For 5 and 1/2 years I had to fight the VA basically alone althought I did use Prodigy Board where Alex Humpfrey helped and Gwen our Den Mother rode heard and I also met Berta as she staryed her assault on the VA and the DAV.

Knowing what it is like without support ot encouragement I try to offer some words of encouragement to all who come to Hadit.

I hope that when Chuckles wins his claim that you hang around and help other Veterans. Its a great day when I open new posts and see soething in Success. I skip everything and read it.

One last thing I really appreciate the spouses who help their Veterans.

God Bless You and be aware that Chuckles has a candle waiting for his good news. The fact that the rater is talking to you is an excellant sign.

Pete

• HadIt.com Elder

Clothing Allowance

Prosthetic appliances and medications have an effect on clothing. If qualified, a veteran can receive a one time or yearly allowance for reimbursement.

Eligibility criteria, see 38 CFR §3.810.

Rates see Special Benefit Allowances Rate Table.

Its $692 once a year paid in August. Others can explain it better than I.