VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Colonoscopy?

Rate this topic

I have received a follow-up letter with an appt. for pre-colonoscopy (counseling, I guess) and colonoscopy.

I've had a lot of bowel problems in my adult life, a lot of constipation and bleeding, so my primary care DR. advised this.

Any advice?

:D :blink: :( :unsure:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your appointment is for them to explain the proceedure to you and give you your prep kit. You'll have to use the kit to cleanse your colon prior to the test. I think now, they put you to sleep for this proceedure or do some type of conscious sedation where you are unaware of everything, but not the same as general anesthesia. You won't feel any discomfort, but they'll be able to look at the inside of your colon to check it all out. Don't worry. Both my parents and in-laws have had one and all of them said they didn't even know what happened.

• HadIt.com Elder

I Had the test performed this past November and found it to be a very simple procedure.

I had to start at 4:00 in the evening taking pills with water or soft drink.

This was the most difficult of the whole thing.

I had to swallow pills every 15 minutes and before I could swallow the first batch it was time to start again. I could eat jello, but none with red food coloring and have soft drinks, just no milk.

I had to be at the hospital at 6:30 the next morning and was given the usual surgical prep- I.V and those things. I was carted off to the operating room and was put completely to sleep via the I. V. I woke up in the operating room about 30 minutes later and left the hospital about one hour later.

The doctor showed me his photos and told that he didn't suspect any cancer or anything like that, but would send his tissue sampe to lab for complete testing and call me in about a week. This he did and there was no problem.

You will find the prep the most difficult and not the procedure. There was absolutely no pain for me afterwards.

I hope this helps and puts your mind at ease.

Josephine

I've had four colonoscopies. The most difficult part of a colonoscopy is the prep the night before. You either take the pills with water or a mixture called golyte. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to drink and after about 30 minutes into drinking you'll have severe diahrea. The following morning you'll go to the hospital were they will start a IV and give you demerol and versed or fentynal and versed. It's called conscious sedation. You are awake but will remember nothing. You'll have no pain or discomfort. I've had four colonoscopies and 12 scopes of my throat, with both the VA and civilian doctors. They both do the procedures the same.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about. The only bad thing is drinking the stuff the night before. If the doc ever gives you the choice, the Golyte is easier to drink than the 20 or 30 pills with water. Good luck.

• HadIt.com Elder

He is correct, if you have a choice, stay away from the pills, for they are large and I had to break mine in half, which gave me twiced as many to swallow. I also had to take some pills the morning of the procedure also. My swallower was just about worn out by the time that I got all the pills down.

I am sure that your doctor will choose what is best for you, but mine chose to put me to sleep for about 20 minutes.

Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder

I had one about 7 yrs ago, after avoiding it for yrs. Piece of cake - no pain or discomfort. They gave me something to make me relax, which worked really well. I was awake and watched the whole thing on the TV screen. Had to stay about an hour or so after it was over, to make sure I was ok, but nothing to fear. Brought home some photos. I wouldn't volunteer for one every week but every 5 yrs or so, it's a good idea.

pr