Jump to content
  • veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

  • Advertisemnt

  • Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

    I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

    Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  

Nc - North Carolina Veterans Benefits

Recommended Posts

State of North Carolina Department of Veterans Affairs


Any member of the armed services qualifying for admission to an institution of higher education, but not qualifying as a resident for tuition purposes shall be charged the in-state tuition rate for enrollments while a member of armed services in the state.


In appreciation for the service and sacrifices of North Carolina's war veterans, a four year scholarship program at North Carolina approved schools has been established for the qualifying children of certain class categories of deceased, disabled, combat, or POW/MIA veterans.

To qualify, the applicant must:

1. Be under age 25 at time of application

2. Veteran parent was a legal resident of North Carolina at the time of said veteran's entrance into that period of service in the armed forces during which eligibility is established


3. The applicant is the natural child, or adopted child prior to age 15, who was born in North Carolina and has been a resident of North Carolina continuously since birth.

4. The veteran's disabilities must have occurred during a period of war.

For Classes II and III, which are competitive, the application must be received in the Assistant Secretary's Office on or before March 1st. There is no deadline for Classes IA, IB, or IV. For additional information see attached chart giving a synopsis of the scholarships offered and North Carolina General Statute Chapter 165, Article4.

For details and to see if the North Carolina school you have chosen is approved, consult a local VSO or write to the Assistant Secretary for Veterans Affairs, North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs, 1315 Mail Service Center, Albemarle Building, Suite 1065, Raleigh, NC 27699-1315.


Preference in State Government employment is granted to veterans, their surviving spouses or the spouses of disabled veterans, without regard to age, provided they are otherwise qualified. Military leave with reemployment rights is also granted State employees. The Employment Service Division of the Employment Security Commission assists in endeavoring to secure suitable employment for disabled veterans. Any person desiring information and assistance with matters related to employment and job placement should contact the nearest local employment office of the Employment Security Commission. Veterans Employment Representatives are available to render specialized service for veterans.


State law provides for the appointment and supervision of guardians for incompetent veterans, incompetent dependents of veterans and minor dependents of members of the armed forces or veterans in certain circumstances, to manage U.S. funds payable to such persons.


Hunting and Fishing

All 50% or more disabled veterans may obtain a lifetime hunting-fishing license upon the payment of $10.00.

Members of the U.S. Armed Forces stationed in North Carolina, their spouses and their dependents under age 18 residing with them are deemed residents of North Carolina for the purpose of purchasing licenses issued by the Wildlife Resources Commission.

Auto License Plates NC DMV

American Legion. Issuable to a member or a supporter of the American Legion. The plate shall bear the words "American Legion" and the emblem of the American Legion. The Division may not issue the plate authorized by this subdivision unless it receives at least 300 applications for the plate.

Bronze Star Recipient. Issuable to a recipient of the Bronze Star. The plate shall bear the emblem of the Bronze Star and the words "Bronze Star".

Combat Veterans. Issuable to a veteran of the armed forces who served in a combat zone, or in waters adjacent to a combat zone, during a period of war and who was separated from the armed forces under honorable conditions. The Division may not issue the plate authorized by this subdivision unless it receives at least 300 applications for the plate. A "period of war" is any of the following:

  • <LI style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" value=1>World War I, which began April 16, 1917, and ended November 11, 1918. <LI style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" value=2>World War II, which began December 7, 1941, and ended December 31, 1946. <LI style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" value=3>The Korean Conflict, which began June 27, 1950, and ended January 31, 1955. <LI style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" value=4>The Vietnam Era, which began August 5, 1964, and ended May 7, 1975. <LI style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle" value=5>The Persian Gulf War.
  • Any other campaign, expedition, or engagement for which the United States Department of Defense authorizes a campaign badge or medal.

Disabled Veteran. Issuable to a veteran of the armed forces of the United States who suffered a 100% service-connected disability.

Distinguished Flying Cross. Issuable to a recipient of the Distinguished Flying Cross. The plate shall bear the emblem of the Distinguished Flying Cross and the words "Distinguished Flying Cross".

Legion of Valor. Issuable to a recipient of one of the following military decorations: the Congressional Medal of Honor, the Distinguished Service Cross, the Navy Cross, or the Air Force Cross. The plate shall bear the emblem and name of the recipient's decoration.

Military Reservist. Issuable to a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States. The plate shall bear the name and insignia of the appropriate reserve component. Plates shall be numbered sequentially for the members of a component with the numbers 1 through 5000 reserved for officers, without regard to rank.

Military Retiree. Issuable to an individual who has retired from the armed forces of the United States. The plate shall bear the word "Retired" and the name and insignia of the branch of service from which the individual retired. The Division may not issue the plate authorized by the subdivision unless it receives at least 300 applications for the plate.

National Guard Member. Issuable to an active or a retired member of the North Carolina National Guard. The plate shall bear the phrase "National Guard". A plate issued to an active member shall bear a number that reflects the seniority of the member; a plate issued to a commissioned officer shall begin with the number "1"; a plate issued to a noncommissioned officer with a rank of E7, E8, or E9 shall begin with the number "1601"; a plate issued to an enlisted member with a rank of E6 or below shall begin with the number "3001". The plate issued to a retired or separated member shall indicate the member's retired status.

Partially Disable Veteran. Issuable to a veteran of the armed forces of the United States who suffered a service connected disability of less than 100%.

Pearl Harbor Survivor. Issuable to a veteran of the armed forces of the United States who was present at and survived the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. The plate will bear the phrase "Pearl Harbor survivor" and the insignia of the Pearl Harbor survivors' Association.

Prisoner of War. Issuable to the following: a. A member or veteran member of the armed forces of the United States who has been captured and held prisoner by forces hostile to the United States while serving in the armed forces. b. The surviving spouse of a person who had a prisoner of war plate at the time of death so long as the surviving spouse continues to renew the plate and does not remarry.

Purple Heart Recipient. Issuable to a recipient of the Purple Heart award. The plate shall bear the phrase "Purple Heart Veteran, Combat Wounded" and the letters "PH".

Silver Star Recipient. Issuable to a recipient of the Silver Star. The plate shall bear the emblem of the Silver Star and the words "Silver Star".

Veterans of Foreign Wars. Issuable to a member of a supporter of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. The plate shall bear the words "Veterans of Foreign Wars" or "VFW" and the emblem of the VFW. The Division may not issue the plate authorized by this subdivision unless in receives at least 300 applications for the plate.

Vietnam Veteran. Issuable to a veteran of the armed forces of the United States who served in Vietnam. The Division may not issue the plate authorized by this subdivision unless it receives at least 300 applications for the plate.

Fees. Upon request, the Division shall provide and issue free of charge one registration plate to a recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor, a 100% disabled veteran, and an ex-prisoner of war. All other special registration plates, including additional Congressional Medal of Honor, 100% Disabled Veterans, and Ex-Prisoner of War plates, are subject to the regular motor vehicle registration fees, plus an additional fee in the following amount:

Active Member of the National Guard


100% Disabled Veteran


Ex-Prisoner of War


Legion of Valor


Purple Heart Recipient


Silver Star Recipient


All Other Special Plates



In general, State law allows a military drivers license expiration procedure within the Division of Motor Vehicles to renew upon request to North Carolina residents on active duty, to their spouses and dependent children.


Disabled veterans issued a registration plate are entitled to park in spaces designated for the handicapped and unlimited parking time in most parking zones having time restrictions.


1. Absentee Registration and Voting. Persons who are in the armed forces, their spouses, veterans in government hospitals, etc., who are otherwise qualified to vote may register and vote by mail in primaries and general elections, subject to the procedural details set forth in the law.

2. Disabled Voters, Primary or General Elections.

Assistance in Voting. A voter who, on account of physical disability, blindness or illiteracy is entitled to assistance as prescribed in the law, in getting to and from the voting booth and in marking their ballots.

Voting Outside the Voting Enclosure. Voters who are able to travel to the voting place, but because of age, physical disability or physical barriers encountered at the voting place are unable to enter same without physical assistance, may vote from their vehicles or in the immediate proximity of the voting place, subject to certain procedures prescribed by law.


In general, State law grants to these persons the same rights and responsibilities as though they were of legal age (18 years and older), in order to enjoy those benefits under the laws of the United States relating to veterans benefits.


Discharges. The Register of Deeds of any North Carolina county is required to record, free of charge, all official discharges from the armed forces offered for registration. Free certified copies of discharges so recorded may be obtained by members or former members of the armed forces and by representatives of the N. C. Division of Veterans Affairs upon application.

Other Records, Including Discharges. Representatives of North Carolina Division of Veterans Affairs who need copies of State and local public records in assisting clients may obtain same without charge. Exception: certain privileged and confidential records whose disclosure is otherwise provided for by law.

Certified Copy of Public Record. A certified copy of any public record required by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs or the Division of Veterans Affairs for use in determining the eligibility of any person to participate in benefits made available by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs shall be provided without charge by the official responsible for the custody of the public record. The document shall be issued to the applicant for such benefits or any person acting on his or her behalf or the representative of the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs or the Division of Veterans Affairs.


Under certain conditions and subject to the confines of State law, credit for both State and local government retirement plans can be granted for military service performed by an eligible employee. Further inquiry should be made to Employee's Retirement and Health Benefits Division, N. C. Department of the Treasurer, Raleigh, N. C.


Cancellation of Certain Assessments and Abatement of Income Tax. Any assessment of income tax due prior to the time a person was inducted into the Armed Forces will be canceled and abated if the serviceperson was killed while a member of the Armed Forces or is receiving service-connected disability compensation. No interest is payable on refunds made under this section of the law.

Allowances, Servicepersons. Subsistence and quarters allowances, uniform and equipment allowances and mustering-out payments are not taxable to the serviceperson as income. Mileage and per diem allowances for official travel and transportation are excludable from the service income except to the extent that they exceed the travel and transportation expenses.

Deductions, Servicepersons. Income tax deduction may be claimed for insignia, swords, aiguillettes, epaulets, campaign bars, cap devices, chin straps and the cost of altering uniforms necessitated by change in rank.

Disability Pay, U. S. Government. All disability payments to veterans by reason of service in the Armed Forces are not reportable as income for income taxation purposes.

Education and Training Allowances. U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs payments made to veterans enrolled in schools and training establishments under the GI Bill are exempt from income taxation.

Grants for Motor Vehicles. Grants by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs for motor vehicles for veterans who lost their sight or the use of their limbs are exempt from income taxation.

Grants for Specially Adapted Housing. Grants by the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs to seriously disabled veterans for homes designed for wheelchair living are exempt from income taxation.

Gratuity Pay, Six-Months. The six-months gratuity pay to a beneficiary of a deceased serviceperson is exempt from income taxation.

Hostile Fire Duty Pay. Exemption is same as Federal Internal Revenue Service.

Insurance Dividends, Government Insurance. Dividends and all other proceeds except interest on dividends from G. I. insurance policies are exempt from income taxation.

Retired Pay. The following is exempt from income taxation: Any amount, not to exceed $4,000 received by a taxpayer during any year as retired or retainer pay as a result of service in any of the Armed Forces of the United States.


Certain Vehicles. A motor vehicle owned by a disabled veteran that is altered with special equipment to accommodate a service-connected disability. As used in this section, disabled veteran means a person as defined in 38 U.S.C. § 101(2) who is entitled to special automotive equipment for a service-connected disability.

Specially Adapted Housing. Disabled veterans who receive U. S. Government assistance under Title 38, United States Code Annotated for the acquisition of specially adapted housing are eligible for an exclusion from ad valorem taxation on the first $38,000 in assessed value of housing together with the necessary land therefore which is owned and used as a residence by the disabled veteran.

Veterans Organizations. Real and personal property belonging to veterans organizations as defined by statute shall not be listed, appraised, assessed, or taxed for ad valorem purposes.

Pasted from <http://www.doa.state.nc.us/vets/statebenefits.htm>

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Ads

  • Our picks

    • Yes 

      After a PTSD/Unspecific MDD Diagnose From the VA Dr's

      The gold standard for diagnosing PTSD is a structured clinical interview such as the Clinician-Administered PTSD Scale (CAPS-5). When necessary, the PCL-5 can be scored to provide a provisional PTSD DSM 5 diagnosis.

      Any clinical clinician such as MD ,Psychiatrist even a L.C.S.W. (Certified)can perform the Diagnostics Evaluation Employed by the the VA

      ...They just need to figure out your symptoms and put together a list of your symptom's that you possess or show from the evaluation...I am not 100% Sure just how they do this ?

      being I am not a Dr or clinical clinician 

      Once a Diagnoses of PTSD is given they try to set you up with a Therapist to help with your New dx And how to adjust or cope with the Anxiety and Depression the PTSD can cause.

        you learn the tools to cope with and depending how severe your symptoms are ? 

       They test /screen you with phychoeducational type therapy treatment usually at first.

       Warning  some of this therapy can be very rough on a Veteran  from holding on to guilt  from the trauma its self or you maybe in a  ''stuck point''from memories and guilt or from the stressor's or anything that reminds you of the trauma you endured.

      The therapy works  even if we think it don't,  I recommend Therapy for all PTSD Veterans  it could very well save your life once the correct therapy is in place and the Veteran makes all his Clinical Appointments.

      I still have Combat PTSD it probably will never be cured completely but we can learn the tools it takes to cope with this horrible diseases 

      even learning breathing techniques  Helps tremendously during a panic attact.

      I have guilt from the war in Vietnam  ( I ask my self what could I have done to make a better outcome/difference?..and also I am in what the therapist calls stuck points. working on that at present once a week for 90 minutes.  I am very fortunate to have the help the VA gives me and I am lucky I have not turned to alcohol or drugs to mask my problem.

      But I have put my family through a living hell with my angers of burst.and they all stood by me the whole time years and years of my family life was disrupted because of me and my children &spouse  never deserved it one bit.

      That's all I want to say about that.

      At least I am still around. and plan to be tell my old age dying day.
    • No timeframe gotta love that answer it’s even better when you ask 1800 people or call the board directly they’ll say you’ll know sooner then later. I had mine advanced and it was about 2 months later until I had the decision in my hand which seems forever but in the present system in 2016 lightning fast...
        • Thanks
    • I am serviced connected for ankylosing spondylitis back in 1985. I had a C&P exam on 7-7-19 since I am asking for an increase in my cervical, thoracic, and lumbosacral ratings. After speaking with the DAV to find out progress and info on my exam, the Rep. noted sort of what I expected. Radiculopathy was noted and ROM was 0-15 for cervical, and 0-25 for back. I am currently rated as Cervical 30%, Thoracic 10%, and Lumbosacral 40%. The main question that I have is relating to the thoracic 10% and lumbosacral 40%. I am confused on these two. Is Lumbosacral separate from the thoracic/others ? Since my back ROM is at 0-25, does this mean that my thoracic might increase from the 10% to a higher rating ? I am confused how they break down my ratings from cervical at 30%, Thoracic at 10%, and Lumbosacral at 40%. Also, with the radiculopathy, is this something that they will rate also ? I am currently at 90% total combined for all my disabilities. I hope this helps for someone to give me advice/answers.
      • 4 replies
    • Thank you @GeekySquid for your reply. 


      I have redacted personal information for my documents listed below. 

      I look forward to your reply. 

      HEADACHE STR 2006 copy_Redacted.pdf


      Pages from Original Denial-Grant Reasons_Redacted.pdf
    • Hello Defenders of freedom!

      I have a question pertaining to this denial for headaches. The decision letter is quoted below. 


      3. Service connection for headaches.

      "We may grant service connection for a disability which began in military service or was caused by some event or experience in service.

      Your STRs are negative for any treatment of or diagnosis of headaches. On your post-deployment exam in 2005 you denied any headaches. On separation, you denied any headaches. VA treatment records are negative for any treatment of or diagnosis of headaches. On VA exam, the examiner stated there was no evidence of any residuals of a traumatic brain injury.

      We have denied service connection for headaches because the evidence of record fails to show this disability was incurred in or caused by military service."

      From my understanding these 3 points must be overturned to successfully win a CUE case:

       (1) either the correct facts, as they were known at the time, were not before the adjudicator or the statutory or regulatory provisions in existence at that time were incorrectly applied; 

      (2) the error must be undebatable and of the sort which, had it not been made, would have manifestly changed the outcome at the time of the prior determination

      and (3) a determination that there was CUE must be based on the record and law that existed at the time of the prior adjudication in question.  

      @Berta, or veterans out here who have knowledge/experience, tell me what facts you think would be needed to prove this denial for headaches was an error? 
      • 14 replies
  • Ads

  • Popular Contributors

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines