Jump to content

  • veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

  • Advertisemnt

  • Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

    I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

    Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • VA Watchdog

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  

Ut - Utah Veterans Benefits

Recommended Posts

The Utah Department of Veterans Affairs website is under construction. Here is its link: Veterans.Utah.Gov. This site had information, though.


Serving Utah's 161,000 Veterans

Updated April 2004

Published by:

Utah State Division of Veterans Affairs

550 Foothill Blvd Rm 202

Salt Lake City, Utah 84113

Salt Lake City Area Phone Number

801-326-2372 fax 801 326 2369

Statewide Toll Free Number




Web Page



A Utah permanent place-of-residence property tax exemption equivalent to the military service-connected disability rating percentage is provided for disabled veterans or for their unremarried widows or minor orphans. Veteran's disability rating must be at least 10%, max. property tax exemption at 100% military service-connected disability rating: $82,500. Example: 10% disability X $82,5000 = $8,250 tax abatement. (Utah Code 59-2-1104 & 1105)

Note: To apply for Utah Disabled Veterans Property Tax Exemption, request VA Form 20-5455 from U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs (VA) at 800-827-1000, then file VA Form 20-5455, along with a copy of the veteran's U.S. Military active duty release/discharge certificate or other satisfactory evidence of eligible military service, and the tax exemption application, on or before September 1st, to the applicable county treasurer, tax assessor or clerk/recorder located in the county courthouse or county government building of each county seat


Driver licenses possessed by persons on U.S. military active duty shall be valid 90 days after active duty discharge, unless driver licenses are suspended or revoked for cause by a police department or other judicial entity. (Utah Code Vol 2, Section 41)


Utah veterans license plates may be purchased for an initial $25.00 voluntary contribution for the Utah State Division of Veterans Affairs, plus a $10.00 plate transfer fee, in addition to normal registration and property tax fees, at Utah Tax Commission/Motor Vehicle. There will also be a yearly $10.00 renewal fee. Proceeds from the sale and renewal of these plates help to fund veteran programs within the state. Utah veteran's license plates display colored decal emblems of the U.S. military branch in which served (Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Navy, Marines as well as the American Legion) and are further inscribed "UTAH HONORS VETERANS". Utah special group license plates for Purple Heart recipients, Pearl Harbor Survivors or former POW's are exempt of application and renewal fees: however, regular registration and property tax fees still must be paid. Proper evidence to present for special group plates includes Military Order of the Purple Heart or Pearl Harbor Survivors Association membership cards, or DD-214 (& equivalent WD AGO 5355) military discharge certificates.

NOTE: You need not wait until renewal time to purchase the license plates. (Utah Code Vol 2 Section 41: Utah State Tax Commission/Motor Vehicle regulations)


Disabled license plates having the blue & white international symbol of accessibility decal may be obtained by submitting a TC 842 application form, accompanied by licensed physician certification stating: (1) the disability limits or impairs ability to walk as defined in the 1991 Federal Uniform System for Handicapped Parking, and

(2) the time period the physician determines the disability will continue. Disabled veterans applying for Utah disability license plates especially should note that veteran disability letters from the VA Regional Office are not acceptable evidence to Tax Commission/Motor Vehicle offices. However, licensed physician certifications by VA doctors are acceptable evidence, provided the following is stated in the letter:

(1) the disability limits or impairs ability to walk as defined in the 1991 Federal Uniform System for Handicapped Parking, and (2) the time period the physician determines the disability will continue. Normal fees for plate transfer, registration, and property taxes still must be paid upon initial application and renewal of disability license plates. Upon request, one additional disability windshield placard may be issued to disabled persons applying for or already possessing disability special group license plates. For more information, telephone toll-free 800-DMV-UTAH. (Utah Code vol 2 Section 41.)


Disabled persons (including disabled veterans) may park an appropriately marked vehicle for reasonable periods without charge in metered parking zones or in restricted parking areas (spaces clearly identified by the international symbol of accessibility as reserved for disabled persons.) Only vehicles appropriately marked with disability special group license plates or disability windshield placards hung from the front windshield rearview mirror attachment may legally park in accessible (disabled) parking spaces. (Utah Code Vol 2, section 41)


Local Veterans Employment Representatives (LVER) and Disabled Veterans Outreach Person (DVOP) are located statewide in the larger employment offices of the Utah Dept. of Workforce Services. They provide intensive employment related services for targeted veterans: referral to job opportunities, resume writing, referral letters, veteran's preference, employment counseling, etc. Please see attached list of veterans' reps. (Utah Code Vol 2 Section 35


Eligible veterans or un-remarried spouses are granted either 5 or 10 points, as applicable, for employment preference, added to the results of any written &/or oral exam or other related qualifying technique, by any Utah government entity (state, county, municipality, special district or other political subdivision or administration.) The U.S. Dept. of Labor will protect the veteran's rights to the Veterans Job Preference. (Utah Code Vol 3, Section 71 )


Any officers, agents or representatives of the state, or any contractor performing work for Utah state government, who willfully fails to hire a military veteran shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. (Utah Code Vol 3, Section 71)


Utah state, county or municipal government employees, who are members of the organized reserve/ national guard, are allowed full pay for 15 days of military leave per year for annual military encampment. Military leave is in addition to and distinguished from annual accrued vacation leave with pay. (Utah Code Vol 3 Section 67 & USERRA federal Uniformed Services Employment & Reemployment Rights Act.)


Veterans and members of the National Guard and Reserves may be eligible for reemployment with their civilian employers it they meet certain requirements under the Uniformed Services Employment & Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA). USERRA also provides protection against discrimination in employment because of service in the uniformed services (Title 38, chap 43 USC). Inquiries regarding reemployment rights should be directed to the U.S.D.L., Veterans Employment & Training Services (801-524-5703) (Utah Code Vol 3, Section 67 & USERRA federal Uniformed Services Employment & Reemployment Rights Act, as amended.)


The Utah State Division of Veterans Affairs located at 550 Foothill Blvd. #202 Salt Lake City, Utah 84113, on the corner of Wasatch & Foothill on the VA Medical Center Campus. The mission of the office is to provide counsel, assisting veterans and dependents in claims processing and establishing rights to state and federal benefits, along with providing information and advisory services. Veteran service officers under contract provide an outreach assistance program to rural Utah veterans, in conjunction with the Utah State Division of Veterans Affairs. DD-214's U.S. active duty military service discharge certificates are on file in the office for veterans discharged after 1980,record) or with a Utah forwarding address at the time of release from active duty. New legislation in 2000 changed the office to the Utah State Division of Veterans Affairs, effective 01 July 2000. (Utah Code Vol 2, Section 39 & Utah Code Vol 3, Section 71.) As of July 2001, the Utah State Veterans Cemetery & Memorial Park came under the direction of the Utah State Division of Veterans Affairs. As of July 2002, the Utah State Veterans Nursing Home came under administration of the Utah State Division of Veteran Affairs.


The first Utah State Veterans Nursing Home, located by the VA SLC Healthcare System (veterans hospital), phone 801-584-1900; fax 801-584-1960, address, 700 Foothill Blvd, SLC, Ut 84113-1104, was dedicated on 22 April 1998 and became operational in May 1998. Quality nursing and health care services are provided for Utah veterans with U.S. military service during peacetime or wartime. While wartime service is not a requirement for admission to the nursing home, wartime veterans with one day or more of wartime service, as recognized by state and federal laws, have top priority. A veteran's spouse or surviving spouse may also qualify for admittance to the Utah State Veterans Nursing Home, providing the marriage to the veteran occurred at least one year before the application. (Utah Code Vol 2, Section 26)


Located at 17111 Camp Williams Road in Bluffdale, phone number, 801-254-9036, fax number 801-254-5756. This states veteran's cemetery generally follows the eligibility requirements of VA National Cemetery System, including: any U.S. Armed Forces active personnel dying while performing duty or after having served during wartime. Reservist and National Guard retired personnel with 20 years of service are eligible for burial also. Surviving spouses and dependent children also are eligible to be buried in the Utah State Veterans Cemetery & Memorial Park, under rules established by the state of Utah. Authorized in 1988 by act of the Utah State Legislature, dedication occurred on Memorial Day, 1990. Veterans are not to be buried in any portion of any cemetery or burial ground used for paupers; cities, towns, counties or other political subdivisions of the state of Utah may provide proper sites for burial of veterans. (Utah Code Vol 3, Section 71)


Utah State Archives has military discharge records for Utah (ACTIVE DUTY) veterans from territorial times (1849-1895) through 1979. The phone number for the archives is (801-538-3013) U.S. military service records on file will be copied by Utah State Archives for a small fee. Utah State Division of Veterans Affairs has active duty only U.S. military service DD-214's for Utah Veterans from 1980 to the current year. DD-214 certified copies are provided free of charge; toll free 800-894-9497. Utah National Guard Headquarters in Draper, Utah maintains file copies of National Guard bureau NGB 22 "record of separation" certificates for completed service in the Utah Army National Guard & Utah Air National Guard (1950-present). NGB 22 certified copies are free of charge; phone 801-523-4534. NOTE: For many years, veterans were encouraged to place their DD-214 on file with their local county recorders office. We no longer recommend this practice because of security issues. (Utah Code Vol 1, Section 17 & Vol 3, Section 71)


Organizations of war veterans are entitled to have free use of state of Utah armories as meeting places, provided such use shall not interfere with the use of armories by the National Guard or organized militia of Utah. (Utah Code Vol 3, Section 71)


Utah Disabled Veteran Fishing Licenses are available for Veterans, free of charge, from the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources. To qualify a Veteran must have obvious physical handicaps, such as, permanently confined to a wheelchair, paraplegic, minus at least one limb, permanently requiring crutches, blind or otherwise permanently disabled. (Utah Code Vol. 1, Section 23)


Free of charge to disabled veterans, other disabled persons, and persons 62 & over are Utah Special Fun Tags, which allow free admission to most of the 44 state-controlled parks, campgrounds and other recreation areas throughout Utah. The Utah Special Fun Tags also allows a $2.00 off, camping fee discount Monday through Thursday, excluding holidays. Utah Special Fun Tags are available to disabled veterans upon application to the Utah Division of Parks and Recreation, along with a VA letter documenting 10% or greater military service-connected disability rating. Please call the State Parks and Recreation office at (801) 538-7220 to have an application mailed to you. (Utah Code Vol 1, Section 23)


Greatly discounted fares (65% reduced) to ride Utah Transit Authority (UTA) busses and TRAX light rail system are available for veterans meeting these criteria: Forty percent (40%) or greater military service-connected disability rating by VA or Eligibility for VA non-service connected pension: or Regardless of disability pct. Rating for veterans & others with transportation disabilities causing either: difficulty boarding or alighting from a bus/light rail system, difficulty standing in a moving but/light rail system, difficulty reading bus/light rail system schedules & understanding information signs, difficulty hearing announcements by bus/light rail system, or difficulty hearing announcements by bus/light rail systems operators.

Persons receiving Social Security Disability benefits, SSI, or Medicare also my get UTA Reduced Fare Cards. Elderly persons age 65 and over qualify for Senior Passes at the same price as Reduced Fare Cards. To obtain UTA Reduced Fare Cards for .50 cents regular fares or $18.00 monthly fares, do the following: 1. Go to either UTA location at 167 S. Main St. or 3600 S. 700W. in SLC, 2. Complete UTA Reduced Fare Card application form, 3. Present evidence (a VA letter verifying service connected disability rating or non service connected pension, 4. pay $2.00 for UTA photo identification to incorporate on UTA Reduced Fare Card. (Utah Code Vol 4 Section 72, Utah Transit Authority Regulations & U.S. Transportation Regulations)


A lifetime entrance pass to most national parks, monuments, historic sites, recreation areas, and national wildlife refuges that charge an entrance fee. The Golden Access Passport admits the pass holder and any accompanying passengers in a private vehicle. Where entry is not by private vehicle, the passport admits the pass holder, spouse, and children. The Golden Access Passport also provides a 50% discount on federal use fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, parking, boat launching, and cave tours. It does not cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires. A Golden Access Passport must be obtained in person at any federal area where an entrance fee is charged or at one of the agencies administering the Golden Access Passport. It is available to citizens or permanent residents of the United States who are medically determined to be blind or permanently disabled. Veterans may obtain a passport by showing proof of a medically determined permanent disability or eligibility for receiving benefits under federal law. A letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs stating the veteran's disability rating will suffice. Agencies administering the Golden Access Passport are Bureau of Land Management, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Reclamation, Army Corps of Engineers, National Park Service, and Forest Service.


Following is a list of the clinics that provide medical treatment to veterans. It is recommended that you contact the clinic to ascertain the requirements of the clinic.

Ogden: 982 Chambers St., S. Ogden, UT 84403, 801- 479- 4105.

Roosevelt: 210 W. 300 N. Roosevelt, UT 84066, 435-722-3971,

Orem: 740 W. 800 N. Ste. 440, Orem, UT 84057 801-235-0953,

St. George: 1067 E. Tabernacle, St. George, UT 84770, 435-634-7608,

Nephi: 48 W. 1500 N., Nephi, UT 84648, 435-623-3129,

Fountain Green: 300 W. 300 S., Fountain Green, UT,435-623-3129,

Milford: 451 N. Main, Milford, UT, 435-623-3129.

For further information on the clinics, please contact the VA Hospital at 1-800-613-4012.


The Veterans Administration Regional Office (VARO) has re-located to a new building on the campus of the VAMC (VA Hosp.) in Salt Lake City, UT. VARO's new address will be,

550 Foothill Blvd., SLC. UT 84158.

You will still be able to contact the VA by calling 1-800-827-1000.


The VA-SLCHCS, (VA Hospital) is located 700 Foothill Blvd, Salt Lake City, UT. They can be reached by calling 801-582-1565 or toll free from within Utah, at 1-800-613-4012. By calling either number, you will be able to access any department that you may need.

The Salt Lake City "Vet Center" is located at 1354 E. 3300 S., SLC, UT. They can be reached at 801-584-1294, or toll free from within Utah at 1-800-613-4012 ext. 1294.

The Provo "Vet Center" is located at 750 N. 200 W., Provo, UT. They can be reached at 801-377-1117 or toll free from within Utah at 1-800-246-1197. Both centers provide counseling and referral services especially designed for "war era" veterans. They also provide an extensive "out-reach" program aimed at helping the men and women who proudly served their country.


The Homeless Veterans Fellowship is located at 541 23rd St., Ogden, UT. They can be reached at 801-392-7662. HVF provides transitional housing for up to eighteen months for veterans. They can also provide emergency food bags and personal hygiene items. Coffee and donuts provided during open hours.


Located on the campus of the VA Hospital, in Salt Lake City, UT, the Valor House provides transitional housing for homeless veterans for up to two years. There are a total of 60 beds available. For more information regarding this program, please contact Rich Landward at 801-582-1565 ext 42703. You can also access the Hospital by calling 1-800-613-4012.


Located on the campus of Weber State University in Ogden, UT. They provide a valuable service to veterans in that they assist veterans in obtaining admission to post secondary schools. All of the services provided by VUB are free to the veteran. They will provide tutors to veterans in Ogden and Salt Lake City. For more information, please contact James Kopecky or Natalie Rose at 801-626-7173

Outreach Services:

The Division of Veterans Affairs thru contract with service officers from local Veterans Service organizations provides assistance and information to veterans and their families in filing claims for VA or other veterans' related benefits. The service officers travel the state on a monthly basis meeting with veterans, who are unable to travel to Salt Lake City, at various Department of Workforce Services locations throughout the state. For a schedule contact the Division Offices at 1800 894 9497.

Attention Purple Heart Recipients:

The 2004 Utah State Legislature passed a bill into law, which requires Utah institutions of higher learning to waive the tuition of a Utah resident admitted to an undergraduate program of study leading to a degree or certificate, if the student has received a Purple Heart as a result of military service.

NOTE: This takes effect July 1, 2004


Pasted from <http://utvet.com/Utahvetsbenefits.html>

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Property Tax Abatement

A Utah permanent place-of-residence property tax exemption equivalent to the military service-connected disability rating percentage is provided for disabled veterans or for their unremarried widows or minor orphans. Veteran’s disability rating must be at least 10%. The maximum property tax exemption, rated at 100% military service-connected disability, is $214,263. To figure out how much your tax abatement will be multiply your percentage of disability by 214,263. Example: 10% disability X 214,263 = $21,426.30 tax abatement. To apply for Utah Disabled Veterans Property Tax Exemption, request VA Form 20-5455 from U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs (VA) at 1-800-827-1000, then file VA Form 20-5455, along with a copy of the veteran’s U.S. Military active duty release/discharge certificate or other satisfactory evidence of eligible military service, and the tax exemption application, on or before September 1st, to the applicable county treasurer, tax assessor or clerk/recorder located in the county courthouse or county government building of each county seat. NOTE: Effective January 1, 2008 disabled veterans will only be required to file for property tax abatement one time. After the initial filing it will automatically renew each year. However, veterans will have to re-file if all or a portion of their abatement is used towards tangible personal property, if their service-connected disability percentage changes, the veteran dies, sales the property or no longer claims that property as their primary place of residence. (Utah Code 59-2-1104 & 1105)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

To shorten it:

Utah is very UNfriendly to veterans.

Am in Utah now and plan on moving to NV or AZ...maybe even FL - very veteran friendly states.

Our fixed income has to be stretched as much as possible and your vet dollars in Utah don't go far.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Ads

  • Our picks

    • Tinnitus comes in two forms: subjective and objective. In subjective tinnitus, only the sufferer will hear the ringing in their own ears. In objective tinnitus, the sound can be heard by a doctor who is examining the ear canals. Objective tinnitus is extremely rare, while subjective tinnitus is by far the most common form of the disorder.

      The sounds of tinnitus may vary with the person experiencing it. Some will hear a ringing, while others will hear a buzzing. At times people may hear a chirping or whistling sound. These sounds may be constant or intermittent. They may also vary in volume and are generally more obtrusive when the sufferer is in a quiet environment. Many tinnitus sufferers find their symptoms are at their worst when they’re trying to fall asleep.

        • Like
    • Precedent Setting CAVC cases cited in the M21-1
      A couple months back before I received my decision I started preparing for the appeal I knew I would be filing.  That is how little faith I had in the VA caring about we the veteran. 

      One of the things I did is I went through the entire M21-1 and documented every CAVC precedent case that the VA cited. I did this because I wanted to see what the rater was seeing.  I could not understand for the life of me why so many obviously bad decisions were being handed down.  I think the bottom line is that the wrong type of people are hired as raters.  I think raters should have some kind of legal background.  They do not need to be lawyers but I think paralegals would be a good idea.

      There have been more than 3500 precedent setting decisions from the CAVC since 1989.  Now we need to concede that all of them are not favorable to the veteran but I have learned that in a lot of cases even though the veteran lost a case it some rules were established that assisted other veterans.

      The document I created has about 200 or so decisions cited in the M21-1.   Considering the fact that there are more than 3500 precedent cases out there I think it is safe to assume the VA purposely left out decisions that would make it almost impossible to deny veteran claims.  Case in point. I know of 14 precedent setting decisions that state the VA cannot ignore or give no weight to outside doctors without providing valid medical reasons as to why.  Most of these decision are not cited by the M21.

      It is important that we do our due diligence to make sure we do not get screwed.  I think the M21-1 is incomplete because there is too much information we veterans are finding on our own to get the benefits we deserve

      M21-1 Precedent setting decisions .docx
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 5 replies
    • Any one heard of this , I filed a claim for this secondary to hypertension, I had a echo cardiogram, that stated the diagnosis was this heart disease. my question is what is the rating for this. attached is the Echo.

      • 7 replies
    • Need your support - T-shirts Available - Please buy a mug or a membership
      if you have been thinking about subscribing to an ad-free forum or buying a mug now would a very helpful time to do that.

      Thank you for your support
      • 18 replies
    • OK everyone thanks for all the advice I need your help I called VSO complained about length of time on Wednesday of this week today I checked my E benefits and my ratings are in for my ankles that they were denying me 10% for each bilateral which makes 21% I was originally 80% now they’re still saying I’m 80% 

      I’m 50% pes planus 30% migraine headaches 20% lumbar 10% tinnitus and now bilateral 21% so 10% left and right ankle Can someone else please do the math because I come up with 86% which makes me 90 what am I missing please help and thank you
  • Ads

  • Popular Contributors

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines