Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mil T

Multiple Myeloma Claim

2 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if anyone has handled a claim or have filed a claim for Multiple Myeloma when they have been diagnosed with Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance, or MGUS. This can be a precurser to MM. MGUS is not MM but doctors have to continue to monitor for MM if you have MGUS.

Does anyone have experience with the VA and MGUS?

Mil T

Mil T

I currently have a pending claim with VA for smoldering multiple myeloma. I filed my claim in October 2011. I was diagnosed with MGUS in August 2009 and then I was diagnosed with smoldering multiple myeloma in September 2010 after I had a bone marrow biopsy which indicated a plasma cell percentage of 12%. My last bone marrow results indicated 22% plasma cell percentage. At first, I was not going to file a claim for smoldering multiple myeloma since it is considered asymptomatic but input with others on this forum convinced me to do otherwise. Berta, who is one of the moderators on this forum, provided me with a BVA decision where the veteran was successful with a smoldering multiple myeloma claim. However, I have not heard of anyone who was successful with a MGUS claim.

According to my oncologists, some people with MGUS never develop multiple myeloma but people with multiple myeloma more than likely had MGUS first. Keep your fingers crossed that your MGUS will never develop into multiple myeloma.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Topics

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Congratulations @Navy4life!!! You put up a good, hard fight and won the battle. Truly happy for your success...Enjoy! 🎉🎊🎈🎊🎉
    • Static ratings are not likely to be looked at again from a reexamination view point. All of my sc conditions are listed as static. Most have been static for more than ten years. I am 67 years old with minimal education. I have three 100% P&T schedular disabilities and numerous lesser %  disabilities. Lately, I filed for an increase for diabetes due to restricted and regulation of my activities. When the C&P was scheduled it was for my static Diabetes and for my static kidney disease, and for PN to include loss of use of two limbs and for my static 0% Chloracne. So, never say never! Why does VA insist on wasting my time and their resources. At least I drew my travel pay and the wife and I ate out for a change. The rater that asked for those reexaminations needs to read the CFR as it pertains to reductions.
    • By the way Buck, I will be on the podcast Thursday evening, the 27th, 6:00 PM. central time. i don't know if it is recorded or in real time. You are welcome to call in.
    • Being delivered in that format does not lend itself for an easy read, not even for a doctor with a lot of patients. (no pun intended)
    • Buck, When you file for any kind of veterans benefits the RO request your records (SMRs) from NPRC, St. Louis in your case. NPRC sends the RO your original records, not a copy. The RO places those original SMRs, in your 201 file, along with anything else that they might have in your claims folder and it never ever leaves that folder again. Your C-file remains at the RO. At the point of two years of inactivity the folder is moved to an off site facility where it can be accessed at any later date. If you move to another region, notify the RO and they will relocate your C-file to your new local RO. With proper notice, you can make an appointment at the RO to view and go through your C- file. Someone at the RO will be assigned to sit with you and watch you to make sure that you do not add or remove anything from the file. If you call the NPRC requesting a copy of the SMRs they will need to contact your RO and have the RO send a copy to you. They seem reluctant to comply but if you request a copy through a congressman or senator's office you will get a nice complete copy of your C-file in a reasonable amount of time. Your congressman or senator has a standard release form that you will need to sign upon the request. I was in Heidelberg in 1969 & 1970. I was at Tompkins Barracks many times during my stay in Germany. I was in the 519th Trans Co. The 519th no longer exist either.