VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Was I wrong to ask for a specific rating on appeal?

Rate this question

Airman

Question

My appeal has been certified to the BVA.  As a matter of clarification of benefit sought on appeal, I submitted a statement seeking entitlement to a specific ratiing (60 percent) rather than the standard "a rating greater than".  Was that a mistake?  If the BVA denies the 60% requested will they award a rating that I meet the critera for or will they just deny the 60% without any additional or supplemental award - because I specifically requested 60%?  

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

You are not wrong to claim a specific rating.

For all my disabilities I have ensured that I understand the regulations and the symptoms of my disability well enough to specify the rating.  For me, it allows for a better argument, since I can articulate exactly why the rating is appropriate, and I feel it also focuses the rater as to the appropriate disability rating.

Ultimately the VA will (when they do it as they are supposed to) match your symptoms against a disability rating in the regulations, regardless of what you ask for.