Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Cancelled Claim

Rate this question

mbl22885

Question

I ran into a number of problems related to recent claims filed and ended up reaching out to my RO. Someone from their inquiry team responded with the followingIMG_0254.thumb.png.af8a52375add94496b4f66ec5dc6f9f6.png.

I've actually had interactions with him before (he is a former rater) and he was extremely helpful (including in this instance), and two claims showed up on ebenefits as reopens for an earlier effective date for SMC L and SHA.

The claim for an earlier effective date for SMC L was cancelled on 09/27/17 and now shows as this on ebenefits IMG_0219.thumb.JPG.61c6dc005bc88d5ece59c85dbe362875.JPG.

Beyond the cancellation, they changed the "disabilities claimed" to "Claim for P&T status." 59ce3ee4c22ff_IMG_0255(1).thumb.PNG.f72ed7c82c50696920a7d0741b5ff0d3.PNGThis is from another e-mail sent by the St. Pete VARO Inquiry Team member. As it was explained to me, in essence the CUE claim changed from an earlier effective date for SMC L to a request for permanent and total status, which makes no sense as I already am permanent and total regarding this disability, and as the correspondence from the VA Inquiry Team member shows, there was never a legal or valid CUE claim filed for anything related to my permanent and total status. 

I know the claim was cancelled due to speaking to a number of VA employees, to include someone from my VA District Office. I was able to send her the conversations with the St. Pete Inquiry Team member showing how CUEs were filed on my behalf by said St. Pete Inquiry Team member who has previously worked as a rater. She was as perplexed as I was, noted the situation was "weird," and commented on how if a RO decides to take an action like a cancellation they are required to provide a note/summary explaining the action to the District Office, which the St. Petersburg VARO had not done.  She said she was sending them a note with a deadline of October 2nd to provide a response explaining the actions taken and that someone from the RO was to call me. She also noted that there was nothing in her system that she could see that showed the CUE claim as being one for an earlier effective date for SMC L. 

I have a VSO, but they haven proven to be less than effective when it comes to most things. I've actually received responses from the Regional Office before they have. I even had someone from the VSO District Office contact me yesterday to tell me this situation was "normal."  They've repeatedly given me false information on a number of things as well. I'm only putting this here in hopes of avoiding the "What does your VSO say" or "You need to get a VSO" posts. 

Any advice? Previous experience with a similar issue? 

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

3 answers to this question

They closed your claim 9/27/17 ... you didnt get the BBE yet so...wait to see exactly what it says. Quality review is doing their job. You need to find out exactly what they did CUE on not just a general description. Are THEY filing a CUE to remove benefits or to give you what you should have gotten in the past? If they closed the claim requesting Re-Open and corrected it via CUE you will get back pay for that.  Ask ?'s.