Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Friend Needs Help

Rate this question

JayBrown1

Question

I have been trying to help a friend of mine in getting his claim increased. He got out in 1994 with 30%, 10 for his back and 20 for his knees. He had surgery on his back while in the military where they removed 2 disc and determined he had arthritis in his knees. He has never gotten an increase since his initial rating. I was going through his file and I saw where a military doctor wrote in his progress notes and his commander requested that he be medically retired from active duty. He was sent to a VA for evaluation and was given a 30% rating for back and knees. He was also being charged a co-payment for medication for his service connected medication. We submitted a claim for an increase and for reimbursement for all those years of co-payment. He got a letter after 11 months stating that they are in the process of contacting the VA hospital for reimbursement and the will contact him for a C&P evaluation.

Should he have been considered medical retirement? Especially since the surgeon that operated on him put it in his medical record that he should be medically retired from active duty. He put in 12 and 1/2 years before the let him go. Before his injury(he was an Airborne Ranger) with an excellent service record and many awards.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

JayBrown1,

This would be a question for the service department and would have nothing to do with the VA.

You said he wasn't medically discharged, but then stated;

"He put in 12 and 1/2 years before the let him go. Before his injury(he was an Airborne Ranger) with an excellent service record and many awards."

This doesn't make any sense. If he wasn't discharged medically, how did the military "let him go?"

Vike 17

JayBrown1,

This would be a question for the service department and would have nothing to do with the VA.

You said he wasn't medically discharged, but then stated;

"He put in 12 and 1/2 years before the let him go. Before his injury(he was an Airborne Ranger) with an excellent service record and many awards."

This doesn't make any sense. If he wasn't discharged medically, how did the military "let him go?"

Vike 17

He was discharged for medically reasons not medically retired from the service. The military doctor stated that he should be medically retired from the military, but he was discharged for medical reasons.