Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chapter 61 Retirees

Rate this question

jan

Question

How many of you folks are in this same boat. We keep getting the purple run around. Go to

VN Get your booties half blown off and can't stay past 17 1/2. and get the royal shaft from

good ole uncle whooooooooooooo. Lets all send letters to our senators and get them on the

the right track of supporting our retirees and maybe we wouldn't have so many in the welfare

lines and homeless.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

jan,

I'm a Chapter 61, but nowhere even close to the years YOU put in and so much deserve.

Was medically discharged from the Coast Guard (at 30% USCG Permanently Retired list) after only two years' service...so, if they ever get that "2.5% per year of service" thing going, I should get maybe $10 a month for my USCG retired pay.

Not bad.

Can't wait.

But you know, I COULD have done something else instead of going into the USCG and spending 2 years of my life there -- I could have spent those 2 years doing something else in the civilian world that may (or maybe not) have worked out better for me -- but even so, being in only two years, getting at least SOMETHING in retired pay seems not unreasonable.

Whatever it is...I'll take it.

Besides, $10 is two Green Tea Frappuccinos (or Pumpkin Spice Frappuccinos, considering the present season) at Starbucks...I'll still take it.

-- John D.

Edited by cloudcroft

70% TDIU/P&T

Army - RVN - 1969-70 (10th Cav/4th ID, II Corps RVN)

USCG - Galveston, TX - 1976-78 (USCGC Valiant, WMEC 621)

Guest rickb054

I am one of the so called chapter 61 retirees. I did 15+ years before I was medically retired, and of those years that I served The Army allowed me to serve with a P3 profile for 13+ years. I was only 33.... and would have retired at 37 anyway... oh well I don't expect any chapter 61 retirees to see one cent of their retirement not in my lifetime.

I understand your anger but do not feel it since I am not a chp 61 guy. Maybe things will get worked out in the near future and you guys will get your just benefits such as CRDP etc...... My only fear is that each time you see anything that surfaces in congress or the senate in ref to chp 61 guys and gals it ends up just being eye wash and always dies out. It is like your rep critters just use it to be able to say see what I tried to do - they do this cause they know dam well it ain't going anywhere! You call for support needs to include a retired personnel and not just those of you who are chp 61. When I deal with my reps here I always discuss the situation and include ALL retired personnel.

Ricky,

I, for one, am not angry...just stating the situation.

I do, however, look forward to two "free" Starbucks outings each month because due to my disablity, I hardly EVER go out...and if I stay home TOO much, as I tend to do, it only makes me even more socially-isolated and squirrelly, which is not good re: maintaining interpersonal relationship skills.

Sometimes, even talking to waitresses/waiters -- and sounding "normal" doing so -- is difficult if you don't keep in practice by getting out of the house once in a while.

-- John D.

Edited by cloudcroft

70% TDIU/P&T

Army - RVN - 1969-70 (10th Cav/4th ID, II Corps RVN)

USCG - Galveston, TX - 1976-78 (USCGC Valiant, WMEC 621)