• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Christmas Greetings

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Christmas Greetings,

On Dec 24th 1967, my guys that were off duty were sitting around the tent talking of home and what everyone back home was doing that evening and what the plans for the next day would be for the family. We were up in the mountains in Vietnam so it was cool and we had an old potbelly stove in the tent. We had made some hot chocolate from C rats on top of that old stove. Still can taste how good it was back then. Of course, it might have been the company I was in.

About 2200 hours the perimeter opened up and the call went out sappers in the wire. Marine CIC called a 100% alert. This was supposed to be one of those negotiated cease-fires but that only applied to us or so it seemed. We were hit on the previous Thanksgiving also.

We grabbed our gear and headed out; Superman, Mailman, The Texan, George Washington, The Mortician, The Hat, and myself (Radar). Festus was not with us that night, as he had gone to Cam Ranh to get rabies shots from rat bites. The Texan had been drinking heavy all day as none of us had guard or LP duty that night. To make it short, I decided to disarm him before he killed one of us or one of the other teams and in the fray, he damn near killed me as his M14 discharged about an inch from my left ear. If he had not had his bayonet fixed, I would not be writing these best wishes.

I am sure all Veterans remember where they were on a certain Christmas Eve and the magnificent company they were with.

We had millions in the war and normally only one year away from family and friends. The new Military it seems we have the same 150,000 or so fighting year after year. I for one do not to see how that can continue as a family military with the displacements we have now. Ironically, I heard them tonight talk of FOB instead of FSB. Make no mistake it is exactly what we spent months on in our war.

Be that as it is we need to make sure our Nation, especially our government, remember these new Veterans, and that they receive the best treatment possible; and that promises made “will be kept†in an honorable and timely manner. Something our government and its entities have not done in the past for Veterans.

To all of you and your families here in this Nation and those mates in New Zealand and Australia a Merry Christmas (Happy Hanukkah) and all the very best the New Year can bring to you and yours.

Remember those soldiers that are away from home, wherever they may be, this special time of the year.

Glenda and Kelley

• Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet