Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

S-dvi Got My Policy Today

Rate this question

donews

Question

Good News ...

I was approved for and received my Service Disabled Veterans Life Insurance policy Today.

The premiums are a small amount compared to any other insurance that I might have been able to get, which is unlikely in my current health.

The odd thing I noticed was on one line it stated:

"Your application has been found to be an informal claim for waiver of premiums"

I do not understand that part as I was told that you had to apply for the insurance and get it, then when you are 100% disabled by the VA go back and ask for premium waivers. Once you get premiu waivers you can get upto Twenty Thousand Dollars in additional insurance, but I must pay the premium on the additional insurance on my own.

Then I read further and you do not have to be 100% total or even TDIU by the VA to get waivers, you just must prove that you have not had or can not obtain gainful employment for six months.

So my next thought was:

If the people from the VA Life Insurance Division find me 100% unemployable for premium waivers would that not be cause to give me TDIU?

Just a thought running through my head.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Good News ...

I was approved for and received my Service Disabled Veterans Life Insurance policy Today.

The premiums are a small amount compared to any other insurance that I might have been able to get, which is unlikely in my current health.

The odd thing I noticed was on one line it stated:

"Your application has been found to be an informal claim for waiver of premiums"

I do not understand that part as I was told that you had to apply for the insurance and get it, then when you are 100% disabled by the VA go back and ask for premium waivers. Once you get premiu waivers you can get upto Twenty Thousand Dollars in additional insurance, but I must pay the premium on the additional insurance on my own.

Then I read further and you do not have to be 100% total or even TDIU by the VA to get waivers, you just must prove that you have not had or can not obtain gainful employment for six months.

So my next thought was:

If the people from the VA Life Insurance Division find me 100% unemployable for premium waivers would that not be cause to give me TDIU?

Just a thought running through my head.

I have never thought about it like that to obtain 100%. I am disabled thru Social Security and I got the waiver based on it and then got the other $20,000. I am like you I can't get any other insurance so to me this was something that I didn't even have to think about, I've had both now for about 5 years. Sgt D

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know about that theory either I am like SgtD I was totally disabled by SSD and then VA gave me 50% so I applied for the 10,000 free and bought the 20,000 since I can't buy any other insurance I am now trying to get them to write the mortgage insurance since I can;t buy any due to my disabilities that are SC hey 90,000 more insurance will allow my wife to stay in the home and not have to sell it if I kick the bucket I have one goal now to live until Jan 2012 so I will be SC for 10 years that entitles her to everything DIC and SSD survivor benefits and then she will be in decent shape as long as she doesn't try to raise the grand kids and her daughter

I don't know about that theory either I am like SgtD I was totally disabled by SSD and then VA gave me 50% so I applied for the 10,000 free and bought the 20,000 since I can't buy any other insurance I am now trying to get them to write the mortgage insurance since I can;t buy any due to my disabilities that are SC hey 90,000 more insurance will allow my wife to stay in the home and not have to sell it if I kick the bucket I have one goal now to live until Jan 2012 so I will be SC for 10 years that entitles her to everything DIC and SSD survivor benefits and then she will be in decent shape as long as she doesn't try to raise the grand kids and her daughter

Hmmm..

I thought you had to be eligible or receiving the Special Adaptable Housing Grant to get the mortgage insurance.

If not, I need to look into that also.

That would be a great thing to have.

I also get SSDI, and I should be 100% with the VA , I am sure I will be once they get me a hearing with the DRO, I have all the evidence, so I hope it is a matter of putting it infront of them.

In the mean time I am hoping to backdoor them with the TDIU claim also if I get approved for the premium waivers.